Blower Noise

NightMare3.8

hey guys i dont know if this should be in the tech form or not so if it shouldnt please let me know. anyways!! Ive watched a some vids on streetfire and i was just woundering how they get there supers to whine really loud. is it pulleys or what cause one guy said he had a stock blower. Im in love with the noise haha so please help me out!! i plan on getting a 5% blower pulley and underdrive kit for mine so will this make it loud or not? thanks!

There's multiple things to do that will make a blower louder.

An aftermarket intake tube with a cone filter, bigger MAF and TB, porting the blower, OD'ing it, etc... Even doing a FMIC makes it louder from thin wall tubing, which dampens sound less.

you wont believe it but the other day i was pulled over becuase my "exhaust" was too loud. i had to ask the officer what it sounded like and he said a high pitch whine. i just shook my head and said yep thats my supercharger and got off with a warning:D

removing the air silencer increases the SC whine. Upgrading to a 80mm MAF also made no difference in SC whine volume for me. however, (this is interesting) my SC will not whine when it is unhappy with the quality of gas that's in it. Like, if the quality is not high enough it won't run happily and the SC will not pull very hard and it will not make its usual happy whine. It will also whine louder with higher quality, high octane fuel.

However, it doesn't really seem to whine very loud for me either. I wondered why the M112 on the cobras whines so much louder, even in stock form.

-Ghost

Last edited:
hey guys i dont know if this should be in the tech form or not so if it shouldnt please let me know. anyways!! Ive watched a some vids on streetfire and i was just woundering how they get there supers to whine really loud. is it pulleys or what cause one guy said he had a stock blower. Im in love with the noise haha so please help me out!! i plan on getting a 5% blower pulley and underdrive kit for mine so will this make it loud or not? thanks!

You can also remove the underhood insulation to help.

a cold air intake will make the most difference in blower whine plus as mentioned remove the insulation under the hood.

removing the air silencer increases the SC whine. Upgrading to a 80mm MAF also made no difference in SC whine volume for me. however, (this is interesting) my SC will not whine when it is unhappy with the quality of gas that's in it. Like, if the quality is not high enough it won't run happily and the SC will not pull very hard and it will not make its usual happy whine. It will also whine louder with higher quality, high octane fuel.

However, it doesn't really seem to whine very loud for me either. I wondered why the M112 on the cobras whines so much louder, even in stock form.

-Ghost

Are you sure its not the driver that is whining louder with the expense of the better fuel :p

I installed the 3.5" MP CAI and modded my MAF... removed the Air Silencer, my blower and plenum are ported and it is really loud!!! gotta love it..

removing the insulation??? heard that's kinda hard on the paint with the heat from the blower.. is that true? if not.. it's come'n off!!

I installed the 3.5" MP CAI and modded my MAF... removed the Air Silencer, my blower and plenum are ported and it is really loud!!! gotta love it..

removing the insulation??? heard that's kinda hard on the paint with the heat from the blower.. is that true? if not.. it's come'n off!!

I have no insulation and my hood has a few cracks in the paint, only place on the car the paint cracked

one question about CAI

i know for a fact my blower is now louder, and who doesnt like that. but does the size of the filter and brand make any significant difference?

like a pepboys ricer $20 cone filter, will it sound the same as a $60 9" K&N?

i know for a fact my blower is now louder, and who doesnt like that. but does the size of the filter and brand make any significant difference?

like a pepboys ricer $20 cone filter, will it sound the same as a $60 9" K&N?

YES! and you save $40. Becareful with certain cheap ricer filters. There was a write up in one of the ricer mags (no I didnt by the mag) that mentioned the filter collapsing and being sucked into some dudes intake and blower.

I have no hood insulation and never have a problem with the paint.

I also have a chrome plated aluminum cold air intake, 10% overdrive pulley, and sealed up the sound ports on the blower outlet. It's not loud enough. Maybe outside the car, but not inside the car. I think the intercooler tubes would help as well if you go to chrome plated aluminum thin wall tubes. The factory ones are thick. Maybe if I had the filter under the hood instead of under the car it'd be a lot louder.

The first thing I did to my SC from stock was remove the air intake silencer, that made a noticeable difference because I could actually hear the supercharger compared to before not hearing it at all. The next thing I did was install a ZR Motorsport cold air intake, that made it like 50 times louder, no kidding... I have since done various mods that have made minimal differences like 10% overdrive pulley, underdrive pulleys, headers, SCP exhuast... It really sounds great though, best sound for your money would be the cold air intake for sure.

why not just weld the two holes on the blower, i have heard that adds a significant amount of whine.

It is likely you will warp the blower case if you start welding the slots closed, not guarranteed but not a good thing if you trash the blower. Ive been welding Alum for 35 years so I know a thing or two about it. You could epoxy them shut using Delvcon alum epoxy but if it breaks loose your rotors will eat it.

Ken

I have recently found out that if the SC by-pass valve is disconnected, the SC makes quite a noise at idle. It is amazing how noisy it is at idle and part-throttle cruise when disconnected.

Back