PDA

View Full Version : Stock Length Forged Rods?

joshbea6
10-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Does anyone make a stock length h-beam forged connecting rod for our cars that accepts a press fit pin?

Secondly, what IS the stock length for our rods?

If there is no stock upgrade replacement, I'm going to have to offer up my Wiseco pistons up for auction as I was advised by my engine shop that the rods should be replaced in my engine for the performance level that I am wanting.

Please help

the-big-e
10-30-2006, 12:18 PM
According to my 89 service manual.......

Stock rod length is 5.912 - 5.915 measured center to center....

XxSlowpokexX
10-30-2006, 01:03 PM
I dont believ ethere is any exact fit h beam rods for use with stock pistons. There is however a few manufacturers that will and do make pistons for use with a 351 H beam rod in our cars..Best solution if you ask me

joshbea6
10-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I know that Tom at supersix motorsports has a piston rod combo. He is the one that I bought the Wiseco pistons, that I currently have, from. However, he is unwilling to take them back for a restocking fee and put the rest of the money towards a rod piston combo....which kinda pisses me off a touch...:mad: So, now I need to find someone that wants some forged Wiseco pistons I guess

trife86
10-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I heard something about using LT1 rods

XR7 Dave
10-30-2006, 02:24 PM
What is the compression distance on these pistons?

joshbea6
10-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Dave, The compression height is 1.610.

I was told by Tom at SuperSix that I could use the 351 H-beams with these pistons, just that the machine shop would have to cut the pistons for valve clearance, CR, etc. I was told that there was plenty of realestate in order to do the proper machining, but if I can get a rod/piston set that I DON'T have to have machined further, I would rather do that.

I've already got $750 in the pistons, would spend another $500 for 351 forged H-beam rods, and then I would have to spend the $$ to get the pistons machined for the proper CR, as opposed to spending about $1300 for a good piston/rod combo that is already set for the proper CR.

XR7 Dave
10-30-2006, 03:22 PM
What is the compression ratio, or what is the dish volume? Has your block been decked yet? What is the deck height?

joshbea6
10-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Dave the dish volume is -8 cc. As for the deck height, the block is still stock as we have not altered anything until I got the piston/rod combo situation figured out.

-Josh

XR7 Dave
10-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Dave the dish volume is -8 cc. As for the deck height, the block is still stock as we have not altered anything until I got the piston/rod combo situation figured out.

-Josh

Just wondered what you have to work with on the dish. Looks like about 9.0:1 compression as is which I think is high enough.

I think that 95 SC connecting rods would be the best solution for you. They will be plenty strong for anything other than 100hp nitrous hit.

Mike8675309
10-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Unless you are planning to go into well over 400rwhip range, an upgrade to 94/95 rods should be plenty fine. They are a full floating design, but that shouldn't be an issue. Are your pistons not machined for piston pin retainers?

If your machinist is worried, have him shotpean the rods and polish the beams. Stick some ARP rod bolts in there and you should be good to go.

If you need H-beam rods, well then I'd bite the bullet and machine the pistons. If the machinist is willing, it can be done pretty easy.

joshbea6
10-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Well I'm planning on trying to be above the 400 rwhp range which is why I am wondering.

As for the machining, I figure that by the time I would buy the H-beam rods, and then have the machine work done on the pistons, that I would be over the $1300 total price tag that a set of pistons and rods (SuperSixMotorsports price listing) would be.

So if I can manage to sell the pistons that I have currently to someone that is not trying to get into this power range, then I could recoup some of my loss and be able to get the "whole enchilada" in one shot.

If I can't manage to sell the pistons, then I am probably going to take them with me to the Thanksgiving weekend ford swap meet here in Columbus.

Thanks guys.

-Josh

quick35th
10-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Josh,

I thought I read a while back that Eagle was going to start making H-beam connecting rods for our engines. If I am correct the price was kinda steep at around $600 for the set. You might want to look into it.

Shane

Mike8675309
10-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Eagle #CRS6090F3D. Their info shows an odd length though, so I'd want to double check fitment. They show 6.090 for their SC Rods. And yes, $600 a set.

Don't guess how much it will cost, ask the machine shop how much it will cost. It can't be that much, but it's easy to say that when you don't do that stuff yourself.

Winter is the time folks start considering their engine work. Post the pistons up on the for sale forum. Then try a group buy on some Hbeam rods and you can get a deal on 351 rods. Buy 3 sets and it makes 4 SC sets. I ran a group sale on a set of rods getting everyone's cost down to $279 or so for a set of Scat H-beam rods.

Weisco pistons through xr7 dave have been more than reasonably priced as well.