Crossmember question - Urgent

rookie94sc

does anyone know if the tranny crossmember is the same for all auto sc's 89-95? or did they chance in 94/95? I know all auto tbirds 94-97 use the same one according ford just wondering about 89-93 cuz I'm having a hard time finding the 94+ birds at any wrecking yards.

From what I can see in the parts listing, up to 93 is one type, and 94-up is another. Doesn't have to be an SC, any 94 - 97 3.8L auto trans. crossmember should do the job. However, Ford lists the 94-up type as a replacement for the earlier one, along with changing some hardware, so chances are you could make the 89 - 93 type fit your 1994 with a bit of finagling. BTW a brand new one from Ford lists for $119.62 CAN, wholesale is about $100.00. So don't pay any more than about $40 US for a good used one.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

From what I have seen, the extra hardware would just be the bolt at each end. The early style crossmember had a rectanagular block of rubber at each end for the bushing. The newer styles have a pressed in bell shaped rubber and metal bushing. Like Ed said the newer one is the replacement for all years.

So if you find a older style one to use, get the bolts and the rectangular rubber bushings on each end. Of course the bushings will be old and worn and with the newer style being the replacement part, I'm sure doesn't offer the older style rectangular bushings anymore!

gldiii said:
From what I have seen, the extra hardware would just be the bolt at each end. The early style crossmember had a rectanagular block of rubber at each end for the bushing. The newer styles have a pressed in bell shaped rubber and metal bushing. Like Ed said the newer one is the replacement for all years.

So if you find a older style one to use, get the bolts and the rectangular rubber bushings on each end. Of course the bushings will be old and worn and with the newer style being the replacement part, I'm sure doesn't offer the older style rectangular bushings anymore!

Thanks george I found an older one and the bushings were old and worn but they'll do for now... I'll just have to buy a new one from Five Star Ford when I get a new job... I got fired on thursday :(

Back