Balancer bolt Broke.

Decolores1011

Yea heard it go on the way home checked it when I got there sure enough no bolt. How long till the balancer goes? This is on a 94 SC.:mad: :(

you can do it with an easy out kit, i did, i had the same thing happen, balancer broke flush with the crank. i had to remove the harmonic circle piece and the bolt, but me and my bro got it out. there wont be to much tension, the head is what holds the tension.

also, i duno why ford uses such small harmonic bolts? i just pulled apart my spare 325i block, sucker has about a 1" bolt for the harmonic bolt, talk about a project trying to remove it lol.. my dad was standing on 15/16? box end wrench extended with a full jack bar, boucing on it, pushing on the ceiling for more pressure in our garage, we eventaully got it loose ..lol .. i almost thought i wasnt getting it off, and i used liquid wrench, good luck..

get a BHJ Balancer from Victor at spinningwheels-sc.com he'll hook you right up.. if u have a hard time finding a bolt/washer, i believe its a v6 mustang harmonic bolt also..hm now i think of it, i wonder if the BHJ uses a stock bolt? not sure, Vic will know..

I don't know that there is any safety period - so at a minimum I'd get that bolt replaced asap and seriously consider installing one of the BHJ units. If your pulley assembly has any sort of visible wobble then I would just park the car. That's easy for me to say, but if the balancer is original and fatiques it can do a lot of damage when it comes off. I replaced a stock balancer (if you can find one now?) on my 93 at around 150k and within another 50k the outer pulley bolts sheared due to another minor wobble. So on my 94 I installed a BHJ at 135k to be proactive.

Thabks guys this the third balancer the orignal went at about 95K, the next I think was a used one it lasted a month, this one has lasted aobut 2 yrs. I'm going to get a new bolt and put it in before the balancer starts the "wobble of death". Guess work will have to wait tomorrow, got to get this fixed first.

Back