rough ride last night...any ideas???

Merlon

so i had my plugs changed from copper 2254 autolites to app764's...they worked great in the summer, no detonation, no pinging....did i mention they were gapped to .050?

well last night was a little colder than normal, after i got off work around 10pm i started the car and was driving home, but it was a little rough, like a misfire when it idled, the vac guage was at 12 at idle...then it warmed up a few blocks later, and the trouble was gone the vac went up to 18... i also have been running considerable amounts of additive and water instead of a 50/50 mix of coolant water.

so does this mean its time to change the %?
or time to change the plugs?

also i was low on gas, but i filled up right before i got to work...maybe i got some crap from the bottom of the tank into the fuel filter or injectors...the fuel filter only has 3k miles on it. the plugs only have 2k miles. also bought new plug wires (motorcraft)

well any ideas?
i only run 91 thats the best octane rating i can get from the regular gas stations in california.

also i just switched to 15-50 mobil one, about 2 months ago. didnt drive bad, only idled like crap, but then again i didnt go over 2500 rpms. unti lit warmed up.

Last edited:
could it be the temp sender going bad?

it also happened this morning, when i drove it around, for the first 5-10 minutes it idled like a raped ape...then it was fine!

thats wheat im hoping for, anyone know if the kragens replacment is okay?

or where i can find another one?

Blown headgaskets. (j/k)

Seriously, those are some of the symptoms of headgaskets and when you mention that you have been running water but no antifreeze I have to say good luck buddy. Running without the corrosion inhibitors found in antifreeze is a good recipe for death to your headgaskets.

Pull your plugs and look for signs of moisture or carbon fouling first. Those plugs will never actually "wear" out.

dang...

yeah the water had corrosion inhibitors...the additive said it was a good lubricant and rust and scale preventative and as a pro active measure against built up depotits.

i guess pulling a plug would help..

im really not looking forward to a set of hgs...the previous owner replaced them about 40k miles ago, so that would suck

i idi just replace the s/c about 500 miles ago and used RTV, because anerobic sealer isnt available at autozone

oh and you think its not the temp sender

by the DIS?

maybe itsgone bad...and the car doesnt get enough fuel when cold, but when its warm its fine?

any other ideas?

ive been to sick to go out and work on my car.:(

but suggestions are welcome;)

try checking for codes, maybe one is stored in the memory.... mines is running like crap right now also, but i think its cuz of the cam sensor....

well ill go pull codes later today or something

but it runs fine most of the time.so im thinking the dis is fine, the cam sensor is fine, but im hoping its not the damn HGs...thanks for putting doubt and a little bit of scared ****less in my mind xr7...:cool:

i guess the first thing i could do is drain about a gallon of water from the radiator, and add straight up coolant, recconect the #14 wire. and clean the conical filter. though it is apc, so i might just buy a K&N and get it over with.

Back