18" Drag radials for street use?

92bird

Is anyone using an 18" drag radial tire on their SC?

I'm looking at a 265/40/18 BFG drag radial for my car in hopes of getting traction on the street.

mtahzj.ang.jpg

Right now with street tires, it blows through first gear no matter how easy I roll into it, and it will spin through most of second gear as well.

I know for the track I'm better off with some sticky tires on stock wheels, but I don't drag race that much.

Wearability I don't care about.. I only drive this car maybe 2,000 miles per year LOL..

Jeramie

Currently 245/45/18 on ADR 18x8 wheels

Per the tire calculator, 265/40/18 is just a hair shorter. It was like 1.083% difference.

Well, the tire will definitely stick better then your street tires, but given where you live, I wouldn't count on having the car out much. With those tires you won't want to see any moisture on the road!

Ira

Its only driven on nice days anyway, which we have plenty of here in the front range. Snow rarely sticks around for more than 3 or 4 days at a time. On the snowy or nasty days I drive the GTP..

Up in the mountains is another story!

Jeramie

I used the 295/35/18's on my car, I bought them last November and by March of this year after only around 5,000 miles they were all used up. I wasn't particularly impressed by them at track, I think my best 60' time was around 1.9 and after a couple of thousand miles of street driving they were downright scary if there was any moisture on the road. I believe that you will find that Nitto's will last longest, have the best street manners (wet or dry) and have about the same grip at the track as the BFG's however the MT drag radials will have the best dragstrip traction.

Charles

Interesting.. I've heard wonders about the MT's... But they don't make them in an 18" tire.

I think Nitto and BFG are the only two 18" drag radial tire producers.

Thanks for the input.

Jeramie

Traction at tracks works in concert with track prep, and folks with SC's still can smoke them at the line. So focus on the idea that you modulate the throttle at the launch and you'll find you'll get faster regardless of what tire you run.

Back