LED Tail light conversion

You'll need the 92-up decklid, decklid led lights and the corner tail lights for each fender. Then you'll just need to wire the LEDs into a hot circuit for the tail lights.

The corner tail lights are needed to match the shape of the newer LED decklid lamps. The SC lights do not have the black strip on the bottom of the plastic housings.

You can swap over your trunk lock or use the one that comes with the new decklid.

Hi, George, Jake.

Yes please remember the trunk lock. :) I didn't and closed the lid before I realized it. It was fun going through the back seats to open the lid. Ha Ha.

Jake it isn't a big deal at all. It's the first thing I did when I got my 35th home from buying it. the main thing is to have someone there to help you with the lids because it can get a bit awkward. Don't forget to lay a blanket down on the back window so that when the trunk lids sit on the body after you looosen the bolts, you won't scratch anything. I used different color wires to mate up the different connectors. I used a 96 trunk lid and the connectors didn't match. The wiring order was the same as I recall though and it was just a straight through wiring from pin to pin. I then wrapped the individual wires with electrical tape to form a handmade wiring harness. It just takes a little time and patience. Good luck to you.

I have a 92, do I have LED taillights?

Do our centre lights light up with the corner lamps under braking? Only my corners and third brake light light up when I hit the brakes.

Thanks, ronnie

Were the LED's put on all t-birds starting in '92, or just the SC's? I'd like to have this swap done before I get new paint here in a few weeks.

Jake

How much are replacement bulbs? Am i going to need to replace the whole centre light section?

They light up when my headlights are on, but they do not get brighter when i brake.

thanks, ronnie

They light up when my headlights are on, but they do not get brighter when i brake.
They are working properly.

The trunk-lid lights only act as parking lights, they do not get brighter with braking. Also, the bulbs are really LEDs and cannot be changed (well, a couple of people have changed them, but it not an easy task since the light is a sealed unit).

Thanks very much.

What a relief. For now at least, till th day they finally decide to pop on me. :)

thanks, ronnie

Hi, everyone. This thread also made me remember this. The LED taillight panels must be in series of 3 banks for each side. I had someone slam the trunk lid on my 95 LX and one bank went dead. You almost can't tell it except that it seemed a bit darker than the other side. I looked at it closely and every third led was out. So don't slam the trunk lids too hard on those cars or you might damage the LED circuits. Just a thought.

Have a great week all.

Hey Lance,

Will the blue winged birds on our 35ths come off the reflector and go on the replacement led/reflector, or did you leave the ones that were on there??

Ah those blue winged emblems. Unfortunately, I have never had them at all. My 35th had a replacement panel in it when I bought it from a parking lot hit with the previous owner. He still had the one that was damaged and it didn't have the blue emblems either. Somewhere along the way, the original panels have been replaced on mine. They don't come off easily anyway so if you change the taillights, you will lose the blue emblemed reflectors. I am beginning to wonder just how many 35ths still have the blue reflectors anymore. Tailend hits are common and I would feel better about removing the blue emblemed reflectors anyway for a daily driver. I have found a small bottle of blue paint that looks close to the blue that was used. I'll let you know how it looks after I try it. Maybe one of these days, some nice soul will sell me an intact blue emblemed taillight panel, cheap??. ...any nice souls out there? :) :)

Have a great weekend all.

One of my GWRRA chapter members here in Orlando does LED mods to lights on our Goldwings, he said he'd try the mod for me on a 89-92 reflector unit if I could come up with one for him to play with... He does really nice works on our bikes, he's famous for not braking the factory seals and still getting just the right light out of things. I'll have to see how many arms and legs the crapyards around here want for a not so perfect one... I'll let you know, we might have the first of a series...

RJ

led tail light conversion

Hey guys i am currently working on a led tail light conversion kit.This will allow you to keep your light panel.Kits will include everything to convert your reflector into a led panel.no change of panel or trunk lid needed.Kits should be ready in a couple weeks.Let me know if your interested.

Wayne, ww0001@aol.com

Back