Ok dont want to get flamed but here goes

boostedthunder

:D Ok guys time has come to pull the motor outta the 89 sc. Ive started pulling the motor out and i want to rebuild it. Now the reason i dont wanna be flamed is that i want to get this car into the 12s. At this point budget isnt in the picture. The only thing i dont want to do is make wrong choices on parts and machine work. To let you know about the car its a bone stock 89 sc 5 spd im rebuilding the trans right now as i blew the second gear syncro out of it a couple months ago. About me im 21 and a diesel tech at a volvo truck shop in pa. Im not too familiar with sc's and what it takes to make them go fast. I could waste a lot of time and try to figure out what works and what doesnt but thats what i figured this club is for to help people. So please no flaming and i am serious about this project. Any help is greatly appreciated and a big thanks in advance

Thanks again, John

ps i will be joining the club in a few days and get pics of the car up

Well welcome!

I think first and foremost is building a stout bottom end. SC's have steel cranks however there rods are marginal and pistons are non forged..Good for stock power level..Not good when you up the boost.

You can use H beam 351 rods from any of the many manufacturers out there and custom pistons(which they do make) for use with these rods (Manley, Ross, Diamond, JE...)

ARP main studs isnt a bad idea either. Youll want to keep compression around 8.5:1 - 9:1 unless you plan on using race gas...

If you search this board you will find plenty of information on various specs to build by

Heads you can increase the valve size or stick with stock valves..5 angle valve job and minor typical porting will do you good. Again for what parts to use as far the valve train teh info can be found here...

Various cam manufacturers now make new spec cams for SC's..You can search here for that as well....And now..I am off to bed..To be continued by someone else

The rods fit but the bearings should be slightly chamfered to keep them away from the radius on the journal. 351's have paired rods so one side of the bearing rides further out than the other. Most people use the 6.200 length version to save weight on the piston which will have to be custom anyway. Be sure to get the rods with the stock journal diameters as there are others available (2.311)

You can basically apply all the tried and true rules for building any performance pushrod V8 motor. These motors are very similar.

On the heads I feel it is imporant to go with aftermarket valves so that you can utilize the full potential of the heads. The biggest gains in these motors comes from cylinder head flow improvements. It is not necessary to even rebuild a motor to run 12's but since you are on that path anyway you might as well do it right.

Back