I decided against it.....

Young-SC-Owner

Well a few weeks ago i decided to part my SC out, but i didnt have the heart to do it so i put the engine together on the stand the best i could all the way down to plugs and wires anywho im now ready to put the clutch kit in and the flywheel marry the tranny and engine together and drop it in!! any helpfun hints about install would be very appreciated ive never done it before;) thanks -Tony-

Ok well since i gues no one on this whole sight knows any hints ill just ask a question.........i got the whole engine and tranny set in but now its in a bind the bell housing hits the floorboard and the motor mount brackets get hung up idk what to do its redictulous please anyone help

Attachments

• P1010031.JPG
    P1010031.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 98
  • P1010032.JPG
    P1010032.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 119
Is the oil pan hitting the subframe? Can you drop the rear of the trans and wiggle the assembly and see what is binding? Pm me if you are still stuck.

why dont you try setting it in with the motor mounts off? you have an engine hoist so all you need is a little room under the car up front. get the engine in place, then put the motor mounts in from underneath. it shouldnt be bad at all, especially being able to control the engine height with the hoist. that would give you tons more wiggling room to get everything set in there from what i can see.

Moses

So what you mean is take the one bolt on top holding the MM on off and set that in on the racket slide the bolt in thru the bracket then set the engine down onto the stud on the MM an slip the one nut over it?:p :p sorry did i confuse

Remove the motor mount from the engine. Once loose, you can just set it over the k-member and drop the engine over top of both of them. Once the motor is better positioned then you can bolt the mount back to the block before take it off the hoist.

Not a 5spd it won't.

Oh, but you can. I put the motor in with the clutch on and the motor bolted to the transmission at the same time. To get it running, the only thing I had to do was put the blower/IC on, the wiring harness, clutch line, cross member, etc... It was the easiest motor installation I've ever done in my life. Got the motor in the car and started up to drive around in 2hrs. and 15minutes.

What I did with the motor mounts was leave the mounts in the car along with the three bolt plate, loosen the big nut so you can move it around, drop the motor in, put the three motor mount bolts to the block in on each side, then I tightened the big nut down with a wrench.

Last edited:
Well guy i got it in never even loosened the motor mounts, yes i DID IT DAVE A 5SPD!! and one person! all it took was a ratchet strap lift and bar of iron....anyways i have it all in now the problem i have is when i try to turn the engine over all i get is a click form the slave solonoid on the fenderwall....any ideas anyone? ive checked for sparks i DO get about 9 volts ot the starter when the ket is turned to the start position but no starter movment....HMMM i need help:(

I'm sure you have a bad ground. If the ground cable is grounded to the block then the block has to be grounded to the frame of the car as well.

If you have a cable grounded to the motor run another ground from the battery to a spot on the frame. Make sure the spot is paint free too.

well i put that ground onto the motor mount bracket isnt thsat where it goes?:confused:

Yes, that's where it goes, but you have to have the motor grounded to the chassis too. You can't just have the cable going to the motor mount from the battery alone.

well i took it out of my running truck, it lights up the dash and headlights just fine then i turn key to start and click tach jumps a bt but to starter engaging...:confused: im assuming there is something not grounded...:(

Back