broken harmonic balancer

1990tbirdsc

i have a 1990 thunderbird "auto trans" and my harmonic balancer broke a while back ..and i fixed it and put a used one on hopeing it would work ... and it broke in three days .... the bolt is not broke this time which is good ,,,

my question is ""what is the easiest way to get the broken sleeve from the balancer off the crankshaft""..?? :confused:

there are some different things that have been tried. you can drill holes into the end of the sleeve and try inserting screws in there and pulling it out. some people have had the sleeve split as they put the screw it. you just have to be really careful not to drop anything into the timing cover. when i broke the first one, i pried on it and it came out. the second one didnt work out so good. the next thing you can try is taking the front seal out of the timing chain cover. that'll give you some more room, but you'll need a new seal. and lastly, theres always yanking the cover off. the most work but the easiest way to get that thing off. :p anyways, good luck. also, if you broke both balancers at elevated RPM's, make sure your crank is ok. the snout might have gotten bent. i remember reading about someone snapping their's clean off. dunno if its true, but it bears to keep that in mind.

Moses

Used balancers are a roll of the dice. Mine has been good (knock on wood) for over 1000 miles now. I made sure I used the pulley that was matched to the used balancer. Wondering which pulley you used?

When this one goes south, im getting one from BT

i have a 1990 thunderbird "auto trans" and my harmonic balancer broke a while back ..and i fixed it and put a used one on hopeing it would work ... and it broke in three days .... the bolt is not broke this time which is good ,,,

my question is ""what is the easiest way to get the broken sleeve from the balancer off the crankshaft""..?? :confused:

Don't take serious measures until its necessary. Get the obvious parts out of your way and try to get the snout of the balancer off by using a GOOD drill bit and put a couple screws in there. I only needed one screw on mine and it slipped right off. So I never drilled a second hold. Get what I'm sayin'??? Work smart not hard.

Good Luck

Brad

There is an alternative that looks like its coming out as well ;) thats suppose to be better and a little bit cheaper......

"Smart" is way to go, give it a screw or two:
attachment.php

im trying something like the above picture ...... im taking 2 screws and putting them threw a harmoinc balancer puller ... haopfully that will work

Back