Cooling fan not coming on. IRCM?

rokclimb15

My cooling fan on my '93 T-Bird has not been coming on lately after the temp gauge reaches the over-halfway point. I have also noticed that my temp controls reset to 75 sometimes when I turn the car on. Additionally, when the temp is running very hot (it usually gets all the way to "check gauges"), the air coming from my vent will be cold even when the temp is set to 80 or higher. I think this is related to the temperature sensor on the thermostat housing or the IRCM. The fan seems to work when I turn on the air conditioning, so the fan itself works. Do you think this is the IRCM or the temp sensor, or something else? Thanks.

maybe its just the guage

i mean if the fan comes on thats good, it might be a bit ghetto to have to use ac to get the fan on, but its worth it to save an engine.

but like i said, how do you know its overheating?
does it boil over? what causes it to boil over? does it overheat when you idle, or when you drive on the freeway?
usually the fan wont come on till about M
unless you cut the #14 wire on the ircm, then it wont get to M.

what you could do is cut the 2 wires to the fan and run them straight to the battery and if the fan comes on that will tell that the IRCM is bad or your switch if the doesnt then the fan itself is bad

Unplug the temp sensor for the fan, the fan should cut on(if I remember correctly). If so I would assume without further diag, that it is the sensor.

This ended up being something incredibly stupid. Although I checked my coolant level about a week ago, somehow in the last week it got very very low, which evidently causes the temp sensor for the fan (not the gauge) to register incorrectly and the fan won't kick on by itself. I refilled my coolant and solved the issue. I have a slow coolant leak from a cracked intake manifold that resulted from a rusty bolt during a thermostat housing replacement. Anyone got an intake manifold for a '93 that they want to sell?

Back