Need Help with Brakes.

eh488tke

Hello,
She is a 1992, AOD SC, ~145K miles.
Need help with a brake problem. I turned off car, heard something running. Popped the hood and heard the sound coming from the brake fluid resavoir area. Jumped back into the car, started it, pushed the break pedal and the noise stopped. Actually it just ran out of juice (slowed down and stopped). A little later I drove the car, after the second street light both brake lights came on (ABS and Red Brake light). Very little brakes, if any, at this point. Brake fluid is full, feels like no power assist. Don't see any brake fluid leaks.

Any help would be appreciated. Just let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks
James

If you hear the ABS pump motor running with the key off its likely you need to replace the ABS motor relay. The relay could be sticking. The relay is on the passenger side of the engine compartment by the ARC and EEC test connectors (back by the firewall). The relay is dark brown and you can buy a replacement at AutoZone or Advanced. GP Sorrenson MR120 and its around $15. If the ABS/Brake lights flash when you touch the brake pedal it is time to replace the ABS accumulator. That runs around $100 and someone will probably post the number where you can order it!

Here is the website for the accumulator in case you need one. All of the SCers use them (as do I) for the accumulators and ABS assemblies. Check to be sure that if you do have to replace the accumulator that you find out which one you have first. There is a longer style and shorter style one for our cars. If you talk to Prior Reman they can help you in more detail. www.priorreman.com

If you buy from Prior Reman, all you need to tell them is you need an accumulator for a Teves Mark II ABS unit. If you buy from Ford you need to know the nipple length. Do a search, the part numbers have been posted before for the Ford parts.

Need Help with Brakes - Thanks

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say thank you for the help. So far, it was the relay. Everything seems to be working properly at this point. Unfortunately, I could not get the relay for $16 at Autozone (Oklahoma), special order part would have taken 2 more days. Had to go to NAPA, part was in stock $26.00, Part # AR240.
Thanks for the Help.
James

Back