Thermostat

NightMare3.8

hey i was just woundering how to change it...like what steps do i have to do in order to get to it...it seems like a real rip to work on so i figured i would ask you guys how you go about doin it and how long it will take..thanks in advance! - JOSH

Drain coolant, take the top radiator hose off, take the two thermostat housing bolts out, take the old thermostat out, put the new one in, put a gasket on with RTV on both sides, and reverse the process.

alright ill try that but i tried gettin to the bolts and the belts were in the way and so was the ITP..will i have to take these out too or just use an extension and get to em?

You can use an extension to get the bolts off. I forgot to say you need to take the coolant temperature gauge wire off, too.

how do you drain the coolant? where is the drian plug located? when everything is done...before you fill the coolant up again arent you suppose to bleed the system out?

When you're under the car, look at the radiator on the bottom near the passenger side. there should be a drain-cock there. You can drain the coolant there.

On the top of the engine, where the thermostat is, there is a straight tube that comes directly out of the goose-neck. That is supposed to have a white plastic gasket/splash shield. Use two wrenches to back that screw out. Then you'll let the air raise out of the engine when you refill the coolant.

Be careful though, you could potentially bend/twist the air purge tube.
Also, you could break off the screws that hold on the goose-neck. Been there, done that.

Take a look at the top fat bolt that comes out of the air purge tube. I has a pathway that goes up through the middle of the screw and exits a few threads below the top of the bolt. That's where the air bubbles and some coolant come out from when you purge the air. However, on older t-birds, that pathway is completely clogged up.

Mr. Gasket sells a High Flow thermostat. Look in the Summit Catalog.

check out www.evanscooling.com

Back