fuel pump prob.?

jeffh4176

O.k. so go to lowes today and come out and and my sc wont start? it cranks but is getting no fuel. I can here a click back near the fuel pump when I turn the key but it does not actually do anything. Any suggestions on where to start?

oh, yes I checked that and it is good, thought maybe there was another fuse somewhere. fuse is good, I reset the switch and am getting ready to drop the tank I guess and check the pump itself, any more advice is appreciated.

try fitting your hand above the tank maybe the connecotr is corroded or fell off,.........are you out of gas? the gauge might be broken

I just put ten bucks of gas in on the way , so it has gas, i'll try the connector in the mornin...thanks for the help

i would suggest checking the voltage where it comes out of the switch with a meter before you go dropping the tank. I'm not sure which wires they are. Maybe somoene else can help you out with that, or you can trace them down.

I dropped the tank and pulled out the pump, ran power to it from the battery and it works like new? I guess it must be the relay? lol...think maybe i should have checked that first:mad: :mad: oh well live and learn. anyone know how to check if these relays are good or bad? I'm in bham, al. if anyone feels like gettin dirty to help out a rook.

Im sure one of the vets around here could tell you how to test it, but for me it was 10.99 at autozone and worth it to me to be positive thats not going to be a prob. Wwhether it fixes it or not its deffenitly ruled out as a suspect.

O.k., im gettin frustrated now. I replaced the relay, well actually I replaced it with my horn relay( i was told they are the same) and it worked, the fuel pump came to life.....now the damn thing wont shut off! it just keeps going even after I turn off the ignition and remove the keys. I had to disconnect the battery to get the thing to stop. PLEASE...somebody help me with this? Is the horn relay not the same? is it maybe some bad or grounded wires somewhere? I love this car but I am close to loosing my patience. Anybody with any imput at all is greatly appreciated. My father inlaw( king of the jimmyrig) say I should wire it up to a toggle switch so I could just turn it on and off whenever I drive the car, obviously this isn't the correct way but at this point he almost makes sense......almost.

If the pump stayed runing even if you pulled the relay, my guess is the terminals inside your PDB are corroded. Putting a new relay in simply just bumped a pole/spade and closed the circuit in the PDB...

you can wire the fuel pump with a new relay outside of the PDB. Just bring 12V hot to the relay (from the battery with an inline fuse, or from the PDB itself).... one wire for ground..... one wire to the pump.... and one wire for the signal/switch which should be fed from the ign.

Last edited:
Back