manual conversion

mrreliable

:confused: hi all - just dropped 93 sc with manual into my 95 sport that had auto. Does anyone have info on wiring the manual trans? It's the last thing to do but can't seem to find any info except don't do it. Thanks for any info!!!!

What is it exactly you are doing?

Are you putting a 1993 SC engine and trans into a 1995 thunderbird that was a V8?

I'm kind of thrown by the "sport" designation.

Or are you simply putting a manual trans from a 1993 into a 1995 SC? Have you got the EEC set up for the manual trans?

I have a 1995 LX (sport option) that had a 3.8 w/ automatic. I've replaced motor and trans with a 1993 3.8 SC w/manual. I'm having trouble figuring out the wires coming from the trans and also the neutral safety. Loking for info on doing the wiring.

I have a 1995 LX (sport option) that had a 3.8 w/ automatic. I've replaced motor and trans with a 1993 3.8 SC w/manual. I'm having trouble figuring out the wires coming from the trans and also the neutral safety. Loking for info on doing the wiring.

If you have the original 5-speed transmission harness from the 1993 SC, I can redo it to plug into the 1994 car for you. That is no big deal.

But the bigger issue will be the engine wiring. Have you swapped the rest of the electrical harness (at least the engine harness, but probably also the instrument panel harness, maybe more) for the SC version? How about the EEC?

thanks for reply - wiring was swapped from engine to EEC, swapped EEC, instrument cluster and have harness from manual trans.

There is an electrical connection for the clutch pedal, I think that is part of the Instrument panell harness, that is why I mentioned it. The clutch switch in its self is not extrememly critical, but it does show there are differences between the SC and LX regarding the instrument panel wiring.

One thing I might suggest is getting the wiring diagrams from Helms Inc (there should be a link from this page) for each car. I think they are less than $15 each. Then you can look through them and compare item by item to seem what would need to be added, or re-arranged.

If you have the original 5-speed transmission harness from the 1993 SC, I can redo it to plug into the 1994 car for you. That is no big deal.

So do I just connect my neutral safety wires of red/blue onto white/pink in harness under dash? Anything more with other wires? where does grey/yellow and purple/yellow on ECM go to (color wires)? and light green and red/green to speed control? thanks

Andy - can you confirm? my time is running out with use of garage and it's getting mighty cold. Anybody out there? thanks:eek:

The red/light Blue, and the white/pink wires from the dash are connected together in a 5-speed car so just splice them on the car side, or make a jumper on the trans side.

How about the speed sensor wires? Those should be pink/orange and gray/black on the 1994, and black/white and dark green/white on the 1993. pink/orange to dark green/white and gray/black to black/white.

The reverse lights are Black/Pink and Purple/Orange on both.

Also under the dash by the front of the center console there are two connectors where the transmission harness connects to the vehicle. The larger of these two should have a brown/Orange wire in cavity #4 of the connector. This needs to connect to cavity 2 (center by the lock) of the smaller connector. This cavity on the smaller connector should be empty now, so will need to add a terminal to the trans side of the harness, or splice into the car side.

I'd add the terminal. If you have some small picks you can pull an unused wire / terminal from the larger connector and use it. The following are unused in the large connector with a 5-speed; cavity #2 Red, #5 Dark Green/White, #7 Purple/Orange, #8 White/Yellow, #9 Orange/Black, #10 Orange/Yellow.

I don't have a 1993 schematic, so I am going by my 1989 one for the EEC, I think it is closer than the 1994 would be to 1993.

The Grey /Yellow (terminal #31) looks like the Evaporative emmisions canister purge solenoid. I don't see a Purple / yellow wire, Is it light green /purple (terminal #25)? That would be the air temp sensor.

Light green (terminal #5) goes to the clutch pedal switch.

Red/green goes to the idle speed bypass valve.

you da man!!!! I thank you much.....I'll take a look at it tomorrow and get back to you all. Hopefully someone else can use the info as well. :D

hi,
so far wired center connector(c210) as follows:
p/y (from trans) to lb/y (#11)
gy/y (from trans) to gy/r (#12)
r/lb (from clutch pedal) to r/lb (#1)
r/lb (from clutch pedal) to w/pk (trans)
w/pk (from trans) to w/pk (#6)
bk/pk to bk/pk (#3)
p/o to p/o (#7)

small connector as follows:
g/w (from trans) to pk/o
gy/r (from trans) to gy/bk

I got everything wired except where you mention the orange/brown wire.....
" Also under the dash by the front of the center console there are two connectors where the transmission harness connects to the vehicle. The larger of these two should have a brown/Orange wire in cavity #4 of the connector. This needs to connect to cavity 2 (center by the lock) of the smaller connector. This cavity on the smaller connector should be empty now, so will need to add a terminal to the trans side of the harness, or splice into the car side."

Where should this wire connect to? the smaller connector had pk/o (connected g/w), gy/bk (connected gy/r), p/o is still there open.

I currently have 12 volts when I turn key but nothing to the starter nor fuel pump. :confused:

thanks

Back