Grinding second gear!!!!

derekhay316

I'm grinding second gear every shift except if I go extremely slow. None of the other gears grind except second. My dad says that one of the belts could be loose. Any ideas on what it could be? How much will it cost to fix? Thanks.

belts?

Your 2nd gear syncronizer is out, That'll happen after a couple of missed shifts. To fix it you basically need to pull the transmission and rebuild it. At the very least replace the syncro for 2nd gear. There is no other way to fix it.

Or you could just get used to it and drive around it. I have absolutly no syncro action for 1st or 2nd. I can push in the clutch and wait and still it will grind unless I hit 3rd then place it in 1st or 2nd. I usually start in first let out on the clutch, just enough to get the car rolling and pop it in 2nd real quick, catching 2nd B4 the gears get going fast enough to crunch. The car has enough torque to pull it around a corner without getting out of 3rd.

Starting out in 2nd will wear out the clutch faster.

Jeff

damnit, my car just turned 100k old yesterday with a screwed up 1st gear (unless i put it in 2nd before), a grinding rev, unless i put it in 1st then shift it right into rev and a slightly grinding 3rd gear at higher rpms which is all tolerable but today my 2nd gear just decided to be non existant and the other gears seem like they want to join in the action except 4th and 5th. derek looks like were both in the same boat, let me know what happens with yours. thanks

-chris

Yeah its really pissing me off. Any idea how long it'll take to fix? Just wondering cuz I have a guy that'll do it for $25/hr (canadian). My cars currently at 125,000 km's by the way.

i have no idea, hopefully not too too long . my mechanic charges around $60 an hour (us), and it sucks too becouse i was just there today asking him about the motor mounts before my 2nd gear took a sh**, but i have to drop my car off tommarow so he can do the mounts and i'll let you know what he says. do you know if i drive my car for a week or so with the grinding gears, if that will screw with my clutch. i don't have that much money to get the tranny rebuilt yet.

I've just been shifting at about 1500 - 2000 rpm's when I go from 1st to 2nd. That shouldn't do too much to my clutch, just hard on the car, bogging it down like that.

welcome to the growing family of 5 spd ownerswith bad syncros

mine grinds into second unless i shift at 1800 rpms or shift at 5500 not good to do everyday. im rebuilding mine as we speak er ahh type.

talked to my mchanic today and he didn't give me a price but he did say the tranny needs rebuilding or replaced, another day another problem another grand ha ha

I had the same probelm with my 5 speed. I couldn't get it into revers most of the time and it usualy ground the gears on second and third.

I replaced the clutch and that solved all the problems. Seams the presure plate hade goten so week that even with full clutch travel it wouldn't quite let go all the way.

If you have trouble getting it into gear with the car stoped and the moter running this is most likely your plroblem.

it a pain to change the clutch but its way way cheaper than a new trany.

The pressure plate that is weak (the only thing that can get weak), won't cause those problems. A bad pilot bearing, or throwout bearing will though. Those come with the clutch kit anyway.

Jeff

I beleive around 2000 - 2200 RPM's is where our cars will shift quite smoothly without even touching the clutch. I'm not sure if it still will do this if your syncro's are pooched, but otherwise, I shift like that quite frequently when I'm in "casual driving mode"

well what ever you whant to believe is the cause I wouln't go through to troble to take it all apart just to replace the throwout bering with out replacing every thing.

Back