Lower intake mods.....

fturner

Ok guys, I was just sitting here thinking about how to open up the lower intake more and it hit me...... now PLEASE don't call me stupid cause it was only a thought.

Everywhere I have read about mods to it, usually involves raising the roof up higher........

But what about lowering the floor so it sits further into the cam well so to speak..... we're not running a balancer shaft in there so we can drop the floor at least a couple of inches keeping the angle from the heads going down so we don't interfere with the push rods and the oil flow... the only thing we'd need to do is some type of material on the bottom to try to keep the hot oil form affecting the intake temps too much........

I know... maybe stupid idea, but heck... someone has had to try it haven't they?

I've got a spare lower intake if someone wants to try to fab something up LOL!

Also, this is just a rough idea as I know we still have to work out how to flow into the heads themselves better.

You wouldn't want to modify the bottom of the stock lower intake. The aluminum in the lower intake (from what I hear) is extremely porrous and hard to get welds to hold. That's why some people who raised the roof have been having problems with welds cracking and leaking, and why most people who made them don't anymore.

Acetone works pretty good for cleaning aluminum, but you still get some snap crackle and pop with the tig.

The lower intake is a pain to weld. It really needs to be preheated, welded and than postheated than wrapped in a thermal blanket to keep it warm. That, for me is the best way to keep it from cracking. The casting is not the best for welding. Lowering the floor would make for a less deserable flow into the heads which is one of the problems our cars have. You dont want the flow going up hill to flow into the heads.

Ken

Back