Rear coilovers for SC??NOWAY!

You're talking about bolting them in the stock rear shock location, right? If so, I'd be a little worried about the stress on both the upper shock mount on the body and the lower shock mount on the lower control arm.

It sure would be nice to be able to run adjustable coilovers on all four corners though.

-Rod

I've seen the stock shocks rip out of the upper shock mount so I'd definitely do some reinforcing before doing that. I don't think that a single coil over would do anything for wheel hop but if someone wanted to design a dual coil over with one in front and one behind the axle then you might be on to something.

They run these on Cobras without a problem.. If you look it uses a new bracket for the upper mount whhich is attached differently avoiding the usual stress on the shock tower. I would also run a cross brace and support teh mount itself anyway just in case. I think I may just give it a try along with some other things that have been working for the cobra IRS setup.

I'm going to look into it a lil more...Be a great mod for a car you want lowered yet have a larger slick fit

They also solidly mount the IRS subframe.

Just wanted to see what people thought..Between that and lincoln lower arms it would probably be a substantial weight savings in a critical area....May even be able to cut out the actual factory air bag mount

Last edited:
They run these on Cobras without a problem.. If you look it uses a new bracket for the upper mount whhich is attached differently avoiding the usual stress on the shock tower. I would also run a cross brace and support teh mount itself anyway just in case. I think I may just give it a try along with some other things that have been working for the cobra IRS setup.

I'm going to look into it a lil more...Be a great mod for a car you want lowered yet have a larger slick fit

They also solidly mount the IRS subframe.

Just wanted to see what people thought..Between that and lincoln lower arms it would probably be a substantial weight savings in a critical area....May even be able to cut out the actual factory air bag mount

No, you are missing a few key components. First of all the shock is the most outboard component on the SC suspension so installing a coil over would actually reduce clearance to the tire. Secondly, if you look at where the SC shock attaches to the body then you will see that there is very little structure. Like I said, I've seen shock mounts rip out of normal MN12's so the thought of actually putting the car's weight on it is a bad idea unless you really reinforce the shock mount. After looking at the OE shock mount I don't see a bolt in bracket doing the job but I could be wrong.

It could be done as I said but I don't see how having the lower control arm now only supported on one side being beneficial for wheel hop. Dual shocks - now that might work but obviously a lot more work.

A mount support would not be that big of a deal for the body. If Im not mistaken, Siska has cobra shocks but still retained the springs. The problem I see with the rear coilovers is the ones for the cobra I have seen are like SIX HUNDRED bux..........for Just the rears.

Chris

I figured a couple pictures would help. The pics are old, and the car was dirty, so give me a break.

I too have seen a few MN12's now that have torn through the rear upper shock mount. That isn't really a huge issue though, as it could be remedied with a stronger/thicker mount and additional bracing.

My big concern is the lower shock mount on the LCA, especially if you use a FN10 rear LCA. I really don't see it handling that kind of load.

Also, Dave brought up a valid point that I hadn't even thought about...tire clearance. With a coilover shock in the stock shock location, tire clearance would be even worse than it already is on these cars.

-Rod

Attachments

• 08120003.JPG
    08120003.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 138
  • 08120002.JPG
    08120002.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 148
Thast why I brought it up here..To get ideas...The only thing I truly see as a problem is the tire clearence issue..I dont see the control arm as being an issue although I could be wrong on that one..I personally woudl hate to buy it to find out It wont clear my tires...I can give em a call and ask

Back