How much hp and tq can the irs handle?

burnsworth

I'm putting a 460+C4 tranny in one of my sc and was wondering if the irs could handle the hp and tq of it. If not, does anyone know where I can get stronger axels. If not I'm puting in a 4-link with a ford 9".

Basically the car wil last some time that way..Of course if you are planning on making it a weekend racer probably not for long. Very few race thier SC's on a weekly basis and I dont think anyone does with a big block

Then again a stock 460 wont be putting out much power..>All depends on teh power level

not your average c-4

Yes Damon, but your average c-4's are not fully rollerized with hardened input shafts, now are they?

As of now I am going to be going with the stock bottom-end and heads with a tunnel ram intake and a .605/.605 cam. I'm not worried about the tranny with this setup because I know it can handle it, I just don't know about the irs. Someday I'm looking to have a 514ci, TrickFlow aluminum race heads, TrickFlow tunnelram intake, dual Holly750 Dominator carbs, with a forged bottom end, and top it of with a NOS Pro Fogger nitrous kit with the biggest shot the motor can handle continuously. I found a C4 in summit that they say will handle 1000hp and has a true lifetime warrenty, so i'm not worried about that.

Yes Damon, but your average c-4's are not fully rollerized with hardened input shafts, now are they?
But of course..However there isnt a licking darn thing you can do to that IRS..The 28 spline will be your weakpoint always

if you plan on doing that later on..Think solid rear!

Rich's car still has IRS in it and it is a 500+ CI BB Ford. Apparently it makes something north of 800hp... The axles are the well known weak point but they break at the hub, not in the diff. I don't think you are in danger of hurting the rear or the axle shafts themselves until after you upgrade the snouts (billet units are available for big $$).

Back