LED lights

SCreamin

QQ about the LED lights...

My passenger side went "tits-up" on me and before i go looking for new ones...

Any ideas as to where i get the replacements? FORD? or would i have to buy a set of used but working tail lights?

Thanks,

Sam

I've been wondering this as well. my drivers side is half burnt out. and out of the 10 other birds we have for parts/future projects NONE have a drivers side tail light that isnt smashed/cracked/

how hard is it to take the leds out of a good one that still works and put them in a light thats not cracked?

hard.

you can't bake the taillights apart like you can with headlights-- it melts the plastic. damnit.

There are a few strings of LEDs on a circuit board that are interleaved with the current to each one controled by a limit resistor near the connector on the led board. If the resistor fails, or of the alternator over voltages the LED's can get burned out. Sometimes the resistor fails and the LED's are fine.

The LED's are mounted on a circuit board and are very small. trying to move them would be possible, but complex.

Getting them out of the taillight basically requires cutting out the back of the lamp to extract the reflector assembly that contains the leds. It's a core and you loose material when you cut it out. The back is reflective as well, so if you try to re-assemble it you can see the cuts through the back. Thus you need to figure out a trick to re-apply the reflective backing. It's really quite a challenge to do it in a way that isn't leaving it looking worse.

Well that just sucks a fat one...

Thanks FOMOCO... :mad:

I guess i'll be unplugging them for now...and i'll have to buy a set.... which sucks b/c my rear lights are in awesome shape....

Last edited:
Hey I have a 90 sc hate to hijack a thread but where are these LED's on the brake lights. Do they go all the way from the coner light to the lisence plate. The only part that lights up on mine are the two corner lights. Or are you guys talking about something different? I just thought where the chrome birds are was just reflective?

On 92 and newer SCs the center section lights up on the older ones the center section is just a reflector.:)

Back