please help START PROBLEM!

GREATWHITE666

Ok, car started great, drove it a few miiles to where i was going, got out for 10 minutes, came back to car and ABSOLUTELY nothing when i tried to start it. 100% dead. no clicking sounds, nothing. tested battery, full charge. would this be a starter problem? where is the starter relay i keep hearing about? thanks for any help,, car is sitting in a parking lot...
Damon

first i would check battery terminals make sure its in park or neutral make sure you put foot on the brake or standard hold clutch in . if that doesnt work check the small wire at the starter or ignition switch mostly its been at the starter or battery terminals on my car , and in my auto sometimes i forget to put it in park and hold the brake on

yes

thanks for quick reply, battery terminals are fine, what wire by the starter? i saw one right in front of it with a connector, but it looked ok. didnt get a close inspection though. also, where is the ignition switch? i appreciate the response- also if it helps, sometimes after driving the car when id go to restart it, it would just click,but after a few tries, it would start right up. but this time, wouldnt even click--

do other tings work. ie interior lights, headlights etc.?

WIth my 5 speed the flimsy clutch switch bracket had broken, and even though i was pushing down on the clutch, the switch was not depressed.

well since you say you have previously had starting problems i would certainly learn towards that. your solenoid contacts are probably not pulling together anymore. There is a way to check if it is the solenoid. I don't remember exactly what it is, but this seems right to me...lol
there should be two big legs on the solenoid (one going to the starter and one going to power) While someone turns the key, short these two legs. i usually stuff a wrench between them

MAKE SURE YOU AREN"T TOUCHING ANY METAL ON THE CAR OR YOU WILL BE IN FOR A SURPRISE!!!
if the starter cranks, then it is your solenoid.

**on second thoruhg i don't think anyone has to be turning the key...

**image not form SC

Attachments

• starter_solenoid.jpg
    starter_solenoid.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
nope

sorry forgot to say, no nothign else works, when i turn that key, it's as if it's in the air. door locks, no work, no dash lights, absolutely nothing. my car is an auto-- thanks for help
D

generally, with fords, (it's been so long since i drove my SC i can't state specifics) when you turn the key everything else does shut off to give the starter full cranking power from the battery. Do the interior lights work when you are not turning the key?

Last edited:
its prob brushes in the starter are toast . but if you have nothing that sounds like ignition switch its right below the key sometimes they fall apart . i think i fixed mine by putting a cable tie around it to hold it together tight

Last edited:
lol 91supa, i do NOT trust myself to test that,,, believe me i will end with the surprise. i have someone else telling me that if the solenoid or starter was out, then i would at least hear the clicking noise, but i hear nothing, which means it's a battery connection. does that make any sense? thank you guys
D

yes even clean battery terminals lose contact sometimes i would move them around and tighten them a couple times first and make sure pos terminal is covered with rubber so it doesnt touch the hood

Last edited:
Update

update,, i went down to where it was and started easy first. took off cables to battery and brushed, scraped the hell out of em, and also the connectors on the end of the cables. hood light popped on and everything went back to normal. I couldnt believe it. thanks a lot for all your input guys, really helped me out, take care
Damon

Back