Power Steering Pump

1owner89

While driving to work today I lost power steering. Once at work I raised the hood and power steering fluid was everwhere looked like it sprayed from the pump itself. Anyway if it is just a ps line that let loose and the pump is actually ok is it ok to drive with manual seering and no ps fluid to get it home or would that damage a possably sound pump?

Thanks guys

If it sprayed all over the place, then its most likely a hose.. And it will trash the pump if it runs a long time with no fluid. :( By that, if its a couple of miles, I'd risk it. If its 20-30... I'd see what I could do to patch it enough to get it back and refill it a few times along the way.

Also, on the subject of Ford PS pumps. To me... its a good thing that Ford PS pumps make that loud and embarrassing :eek: growling sound when they get low on fluid; it compels you put more fluid in to shut it up before any damage is done. I have been doing this for years and now have 218K on the original PS pump :)

BTW, how are your engine mounts? ;)

Last edited:
Mounts are good changed them about 5 yrs ago with solid ones. Maybe the damage was already done and it was just a matter of time. My commute home would be about 15 mi.

i drove around for a long time without fluid in my pump and it never siezed...i can't say whether it damaged it or not though because i never used it again.

*update*

well I went out to my car and the hose that fits into the rear of the pump had come out. I was able to snap it back in with no problem. Has this happen to anyone else? I'm assuming that the nut back there needs to be tightened but I have no tools. I'll be able to get some fluid and maybe a wrench to see if I can tighten up the fitting enough to get me home. Any other suggestions/ideas etc. would appreciated.
thanks.

yea ive had hoses fall apart like that it will need replaced the plasic inside must wear out and they come apart

Back