Power Assist Gone - ABS and Brake Lights On

75Shovel

I had a intermitant problem where the power assist would go on my brakes and the ABS and Brake light will stay on. Now the lights are on all the time and I have no power assist on the brakes. Help!!

Your Abs accumulator has gone out, thats my guess. Check around here on the SCCOA to see what to do. I know you can get a new one online from prior??, also you might want to check eaby.
Matt

little advice

Do you have access to the wiring diagram and a multimeter? You can throw parts at it and that might find the problem eventually. That's going to cost you alot of money and time. It's a bear to take that brake system apart and bleed. I've been there. I had a grounding problem at my motor relay which was caused by defective pressure switch not grounding the circuit. It took me about an hour and half to just replace that switch(that include walking to the cooler for more beer)Diagnosing the problem will take a couple hours, but that is time not spent wating for parts that you might not need. Good luck and just remember, some guy put this ~~~~ together once before. Just figure out how it works. mike

Does the pump motor on the brake unit come on when you do a KOEO test?

If the motor doesn't come on, then I would check the ABS relay on the passenger side fire wall near the hood strut....

I just did this on an 89 I just bought that had no brakes.....

Ed is right about the relay I bought a car the dealer said needed a new ABS unit and computer but could not fix it cause they were unavailable. I checked the ABS relay and found it had been full of water and badly rusted replaced it and the brakes were perfect.:cool:

Back