pbr caliper problems

x182dan

I put these on a few months ago and got new pads and the rotors turned. I put them on the bracket and the pads were on the rotor so tight the wheel wouldn't turn. Keep in mind the same way for both sides. I put a new master cylinder on there so I just got around to bleeding the system. Still nothing tight as hell on the rotor. So I took off the pads on the passenger side and pushed the pedal to push the piston out to see if it works. Now the piston is a good 1-2inches out and with all my effort the piston won't go back in the caliper. Does that mean I have a bad set of calipers? They are off a GT stang and are used but I have no idea if they were good or not since I bought them used. Any ideas
Thanks Dan

I put these on a few months ago and got new pads and the rotors turned. I put them on the bracket and the pads were on the rotor so tight the wheel wouldn't turn. Keep in mind the same way for both sides. I put a new master cylinder on there so I just got around to bleeding the system. Still nothing tight as hell on the rotor. So I took off the pads on the passenger side and pushed the pedal to push the piston out to see if it works. Now the piston is a good 1-2inches out and with all my effort the piston won't go back in the caliper. Does that mean I have a bad set of calipers? They are off a GT stang and are used but I have no idea if they were good or not since I bought them used. Any ideas
Thanks Dan

You can't push them in by hand. You'll need a c-clamp to push the pistons back in.

chances are the pistons(s) have poped out enough that now that you tried to put them back in.. that they may of went in at a angle and jamed..

I rebuilt a set of PBRs... and could push the pistons even with new seals in by hand.. also just this week finished rebuilding a set of calipers for a 914.. once again pistons went in easily by hand... OH and i'm not that strong :)

Just replaced mine.

I had some used and they pulled right real bad. Loaded calipers cost me 64.95 each. And they be good now. No more pull.

so I borrowed a set of pbrs from a friend and the same thing way to tight for them to work, any ideas?

What year is your SC? Early models used a different front rotors than the later (93+) models. You'll most likely have to upgrade to the 93+ spindles (and rotors) in order to use the PBR calipers.

I'd pull the caliper off the car, clean it out, dry everything off, and inspect the piston(s). With a dry caliper, the piston should move smoothly by hand. Measure the thickness of the pads+rotor and compare it to the gap in the caliper with the piston seated. Obviously if the gap in the caliper is less than the rotor/pad thickness, you have a problem. You'll have to turn the rotor or get a thinner one, get thinner pads, or get a larger caliper.
You are referring to the front calipers, correct?

front rotors have been turned already. I tried a different set of pads and still the same. I know people have put new pads when they have swaped so I'm on my own with this issue I guess

Back