95 Mustang Shorty Header Clearance

Jleezy

I am installing 95 Mustang Shorty Headers on my SC. I have 1/4 in clearance between colector and steering column and 3/8 in between flange and steering column. I also installed new solid motor mounts.

Do you all think this is enough clearance? i am conserned under acceleration the header may hit. I have thought about chaining the engine down on the drivers side. Think that is necessary?

Thanks
Jim

Would you be able to send us a picture of them? If thier aftermarket headers for a 3.8 mustang then I doubt they will be safe.

All 3.8 mustang headers, even the stock ones I have installed on my own bird have required modification to allow for more steering column clearance. The motor jumps around considerably, and motor mounts dont stay the same for long. I've found its best to play it safe in this situation, just my opinion.

The one I had needed modifing. When I did mine I made sure that no only did they clear but when the engine torqued the cleareance got larger. I did have pictures taken of them installed that showed clearance with the steering shaft but I guess I deleted it. I also moved the 02 sensor bung to make them easier to hook up

Ken

Yes they are OEM 95 Mustang shorties, I did grind the flange down to gain the 3/8 clearance and the collector where the primary tubes goes from 3 to 1 that is were the 1/4 clearance is. I wont be able to take a picture of the clearance until this weekend, it is dark when I get home.

I thought about shimming the mount itself were the tangtounge goes thru the slot there (where if the mount breaks or is broke it doesnt allow the engine to hit the hood) to not allow the engine to be able to torque over any.

Or just secure to engine with some sort of tie down chain or cable, I may get into Jegs or Summits catalog and see what they have.

Thanks for the input I think it is better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry for the late reply.
when I said modification, I ment the collector had to be cut off, re-oriented and welded back on. Moving your motor around to suit your headers is just plain crazy.

I did as Tyler said. except I extended them a little as well. I built a jig to make it easier. You can make almost anything fit if you want to fight it. I wanted to have headers that slipped in and were easy to bolt on and hook up the O2 sensor

Ken

Attachments

• Header cut.jpg
    Header cut.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Header jig.jpg
    Header jig.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 161
Preventing the motor from moving will put all that torque into the body bro. Not a good idea. The extension picuted is good but not really required. Just cutting through part way and adding a triangular wedge will change the angle and give you the clearance needed.

They do add a substantial improvement in flow when installed. I had mine ceramic coated.

Back