Powder-coated MP blower option?

T-bird Tim

I think Magnum Powers should offer this option along with the polished version. It wouldn't be hard to powder-coat the blower case, snout and plenum while it is apart for rebuild. It should be offered in maybe four basic colors, black, grey, red, blue and should be less expensive than the polished version. Would enough people be interested in this to get it done?

I think Magnum Powers should offer this option along with the polished version. It wouldn't be hard to powder-coat the blower case, snout and plenum while it is apart for rebuild. It should be offered in maybe four basic colors, black, grey, red, blue and should be less expensive than the polished version. Would enough people be interested in this to get it done?

Tim

Powder Coating trapes the heat in the blower case polished or just un-polished is best I have my blower case and hat un-polished aluminum the amount of heat buildup is 50% less powder coating looks nice but for street driving and racing get the polished case and hat your performance will be better. This is why you see so many top blower builders polish there blowers or use black anodize

Last edited:
perhaps powdercoating the bottom IC tube would be a goo doption, so it doesn't pitck up so much heat when it passes the manifold.

perhaps powdercoating the bottom IC tube would be a goo doption, so it doesn't pitck up so much heat when it passes the manifold.

(powder coating the lower IC tube)

Thats not a good idea it will still get hot trap the heat in more best way if you have the money is send them to HPC have them coat them inside and out. What I did was strip the stock coating off and Thermo Wrap them top and bottom IC tubes they stay cool. If you race it you can soak the wrap down with ice water in a spray bottle for extra cooling before each run. I did this way back in 2001 and still have it the same big performance gain than stock coating and no Thermo wrap

i;m sorry, but if the srrounding temps are hotter than the air in the tube, the air is going to get hotter. Same principle as wrapping the lower IC tube with header wrap. If the air charge is 70C (i'm just guessing here) and the manifold is 400C any kind of heat barrier between the two will be an improvment. ITt's not going to help COOL the air chargre at all, but it may keep it from picking up MORE heat as it passes the manifold.

I'm not suggesting it, because headerwrap would be the more economical approachad an itch to powdercoat something they could do the lower IC tube and perhaps even see some gains from it.

Thanks for the input, I guess my next one will just have to be polished. If I would have known that powdercoating would trap that much heat, I would not have done it to my last one, looked great though. I guess it didnt hurt the performance too bad as I only powder-coated the nose, plenum and top, the case was just painted with high temp paint, since I didnt want to take it apart.

Last edited:
First off you need to know how the heat is transferring...From the IC tube out..Or into the IC tube. I would gather that the lower IC tube most definitely gains heat rather then expelling it being so close to the exhaust manifolds. Ive always reccomended wrapping or at least adding reflective thermal wrap where teh exhaust manifolds are closely located.

As far as the upper tube is concerned It's probably much less of an issue being on top of the motor and I would feel comfortable doing whatever to it.

Swaintech and other coating companies offer thermal disperant coatings that allow heat to better disperse...You may want to look at that/ I have done that one all of my v8 and v6 componants that coul duse it...Also the bottom part of our lower intake I always apply a thermal barrier coating

Just something you gusy may wantto look into

Back