Anyone use these AFTERMARKET SPARK PLUG WIRES?

would they fit a 3.8 engine? and i doubt they increase hp, unless they mean they make it possible to gap the plugs higher in turn creating more hp

yeah they will fit the 3.8 v6 engine... they have the same coil pack as ours... and same plugs and everything..

lenght should be about the same, the coil pack was on the driver side rear of the engine, similiar to the TBIRDS DRIVERSIDE FRONT of the engine design...

The best wires are factory Ford wires.I used to have Magnecor wires on my sc ,so as my brother and they are junk.If you want aftermarket wires go with Ford Racing wires.

The best wires are factory Ford wires.I used to have Magnecor wires on my sc ,so as my brother and they are junk.If you want aftermarket wires go with Ford Racing wires.

I've heard a lot of people having problems with Magnecor wires. I've had mine for 6 years without a single problem. What size did you order, and are you sure you installed them correctly?

If you're adventurous, make your self a set of Taylor 409's.

If you're not, get the Taylor 8mm wires with the pre-made ends.

The lifetime warranty ones from Autozone are kaka.

also, if you're going through plugs and wires a little too often, make sure your MAF is clean.

I went with Taylor 8mm wires on my 90 last year and today I replaced the coil with one of the SCP new coils. Almost ever wire I touched one of the end clips broke on them. I'll never do them again.

Taylor 8mm wires are absolutely identical to Motorcraft wires except for the spiral core and color. If you lay them side by side there is no difference. The boots even have the same "Ford" emblem molded into them. That being said people have all different kinds of luck with all different kinds of wires.

David Neibert has used the same set of Taylor wires on his car for several years including having removed them probably 8 times during those years without ever having so much as one failure. I've had similar luck using those wires on various cars. I've also had 100% success using Motorcraft wires and in fact I've never had an issue with the Jacobs wires either.

I've had Magnacors that wouldn't clip onto the spark plugs before. That is something you can fix if you are careful and it is probably true for just about any wire that you could get one or two that don't fit tight.

I'd say that installation is 90% of the problem most of the time. People just don't make sure that they fit right or don't use silicone grease on the terminals, or they damage the terminals by trying to force the wire on too hard. I've also seen many boots damaged by the brackets that attach to the exhaust manifolds. You have to be careful what you are doing.

An interesting story, at the SC Shootout we had one person with some fancy wires (not sure what brand but I think they were the top line Magnacores with the big cool looking wrap on them). I gave the guy a hard time that maybe his wires were going to cost him some HP but I felt bad when the car was missing and chugging all day long. In a last frustrating ditch effort he went to AZ and bought some of those "crap" wires and viola, the car ran perfect. Too bad it was after the racing was over.

Anyway, the point that Burbank made is an excellent one. As far as I know there is no spark plug wire upgrade for these cars. Only cheaper ones and more expensive ones. Prettier ones and stock looking ones and it doesn't matter how pretty they are, if you get a bad one it will really spoil your day. ;)

Last edited:
I've had great luck with the Accell Extreme wires. Taylor wires I always felt were to soft and would pull apart easily..

Also you can make a nice set of motocraft wires by buying auniversal v8 set and using your stock wires Coil ends..Have them on my teal sc work flawless

I've had great luck with the Accell Extreme wires. Taylor wires I always felt were to soft and would pull apart easily.

What part of "Taylor wires are exactly the same as Motorcraft" did you miss? :D Taylor wires that you buy for your V8 are not the same as the ones you buy for an SC, the whole product is different. I wasn't impressed with the Taylor wires that I bought for my Dodge either. But that's ok. I've used Accell 9000 wires also and they seem ok. The silver spray paint on the orange boots is kind of tacky though.

Also you can make a nice set of motocraft wires by buying auniversal v8 set and using your stock wires Coil ends..Have them on my teal sc work flawless
Don't you mean "Ford Motorsport" wires? It makes no sense to buy Motorcraft wires for a V8 when they are already made for the SC.

I don't like people making their own plug wires. Changing ends without damaging the terminals is an iffy thing and terminating wires correctly is a bit of a fine art that few people fully understand or have the tools to correctly accomplish. Plug wires on an SC are one of those things that is doesn't pay to experiment with unless you are doing your OWN tuning. I hate having a car show up at the dyno with a misfire under boost and the person says to me "I think the wires are ok. I made them myself." Hate that. :rolleyes: When you consider the cost of dyno time (usually $100/hr +/-) and the major inconvenience to everyone when you have to change your plug wires on the dyno suddenly saving $15 on a set of rigged wires isn't cost effective anymore.

Most often it isn't the quality of the wire or the conductor that is the problem. It's the terminals and the quality of the termination/connection that is most important. Just want people to keep that in mind before they start mucking with a set of wires or experimenting with something that isn't proven to work.

:)

Last edited:
I have been using Taylor's for the last 3 years with no problems yet. Done 3 plug changes and removed them numerous times from the coil for other repairs and so far nothing destroyed. I did have a miss once but a plug was my problem. I always you silicone grease on both ends. I also think the Taylors are cheaper than the Motorcraft if I remember. I personally don't thinks any set of plug wires are worth $100, IMO.

When I originally made my Taylor 409's, I would have this condition where I would be speeding down the freeway and then all of a sudden, the car would cut out and be completely silent...........

.... then, it would come back to life like there was never a problem.

Turns out one of the original plug ends I stole off my old wires was bent back and forth one too many times.

Plus, it's a real pain in the fingers trying to make the plug ends. But, I love those wwiirreesss.....:D

I really love the 10mm Magnecor's I have. I think the thicker insulation is well worth the extra money they cost, especially considering the underhood temps we reach.

The silver spray paint on the orange boots is kind of tacky though
..Its not paint..Its actually a thermally reflective coating...

Don't you mean "Ford Motorsport" wires? It makes no sense to buy Motorcraft wires for a V8 when they are already made for the SC.

As far as motorcraft..I did mean motosport...I'm suprised you didnt mention universal being they dont make UNIVERSAL motocraft wires :0)

And seriously If you cant properly crimp the ends onto a set of wires...You really shouldnt be working on your own car..I'm sure the china man/woman/small child/infant that most likely crimped your brand new wires doesnt do any better a job then yourself...Like saying why rig a A/R kit together when you can just but a brand new exact fit S port m90 :p

And lastly...

What part of "Taylor wires are exactly the same as Motorcraft" did you miss?

The part where I wasnt talking about the boot but the wire itself...But it wasnt me that assumed that..:rolleyes:

The part where I wasnt talking about the boot but the wire itself...But it wasnt me that assumed that..:rolleyes:
It's very hard to know exactly what I should assume you meant vs. what I should have known you meant. Now I'm not even sure I know what I mean. :eek:

So how DOES the stiffness of the wire contribute to it's performance? Please do tell. :confused:

.Like saying why rig a A/R kit together when you can just but a brand new exact fit S port m90 :p

Oh no you don't even go there. The ONLY reason to put an AR on an SC (regardless of how you do it) is for more power. Show me a plug wire that actually makes or supports more power than stock and I'm all ears.

Back