Blown HG's?

TealThunder

If you've read any of my other previous posts, you've heard that my SC wasnt running right, as it stumbled, and stuttered. I checked the intank fuel pump/screen and it was okay. (I already had the tank dropped to change the transmission, so I figured what the hell) Anyways, I took it to a shop, and they reccomended that I change the spark plugs, and wires. I did so, and it ran pretty good. (Autolite plugs and Motorcraft Wires) Anywho, I've been driving it for a few weeks now, and it seems like its been losing power (cant spin in 1st anymore, cant chirp 2nd, and takes forever to get through second gear). My CEL is on (it was on before I started driving it 3 weeks ago), and I ran it with the scanner, and my 02 sensors are running rich (or lean, cant remember, it smokes black stuff though?) I just read that blown HG's can cause a failure of the 02 sensors, so it got me a-thinking. I also added about a gallon of coolant only after driving it 3 or so weeks. But It runs and idles at normal operating temperatures. Also, it doesnt blow white smoke (a typical sign of blown HG's?) I'm pretty much stumped..:confused:

(whoops, someone want to move it to the technical forum?)

Last edited:
try this....

First look at the oil filler top. If it has a white milky look you have a gasket out. Next try to presure the water system, to see if it leaks down. Last thing, look at your plugs and see if any of them are whiter. You can also do a leak down test on the cylinders as well....Keep this in mind, if you do have water in the oil you may have hurt the bearings... Try taking out the drain plug and watch for water to come out. Do this on a cold engine and watch the first few drops that come out. If you just open the drain plug a little bit it will drip. If there is water it will come out first........good luck..........Rich

when my balancer was going it didnt snap the bolt it twisted in there and still ran but it has no power

on another note when that was replace my cam sensor shaft was also put in horribly wrong *****Right mike lol*** and that messed up a bunch of stuff headgaskets the list goes on im sure if it wasnt installed right your timing would be off causing a lack of power

try fuel pressure! ive had the same problem after replacing cam sensor, plugs and wires, turns out a faulty relay was causing little to no voltage to the fuel pump. press the fitting on the fuel rail with the key on engine off and see if it squirts out. it will actually squirt out like a foot into the air. just make sure you wait until it dries until you restart the car....

try your fuel filter also, and see if your FPR vacuum line fell off...

Back