Just Cranks

Nettlesd

This is on my 96 Sable, 24V 3.0 V6 with 196K on the clock. Yesterday, it drove just fine leaving work and when I pulled into the garage last night. This morning, all it does is crank, crank, crank and won't start.

Any ideas? Fuel pump? Timing?

Oh, I'll trade even up for a low mileage 95 5-speed SC if you have one.

Did you remember to put transmission fluid in the coolant before you checked the oil??? :p You should have seen that one coming. ;)

Fuel pressure test and check for codes would be the things I would do first.

Sure didn't but I did put a quart of oil in before trying to leave for the morning, although, that's all I did.

I suppose people know me pretty well around here. :)

The more you crank it the less likely it is it's going to keep cranking. Did you check the fuel gage to see if it has gas in it?

You need to add a tablespoon of cement in the oil..It will help hone the the cylinders..bring up compression and help start you car

Three things come to mind..
Fuel:
I'd start by putting a fuel pressure gage on and see if you’re getting pressure. You can always bang on the fuel tank with a 2x4 like I had to on my Dakota before I got the fuel pump replaced to see if you can jar it loose.
Spark:
If you have a timing light and a remote starter you could put the light on and see if you’re getting spark. Check each wire.
Contamination:
Was the car fueled up right before you parked it? Maybe someone put bad fuel in it.

I believe I filled up the car a few days eariler.

Oh, on the SC, when you turn the key you can hear the fuel pump start to hum and build up pressure. Should the Sable do the same? If so, then I'm not hearing anything when I turn the key to the on position. At least, on the SC, you know the fuel pump is turning on because its kind of loud.

Fuel pump. Easy to check. press the releaf valve on the fuel rail line and check for pressure. Most likely you got none. Also check all the fuses in the power distribution module to make sure your engine computer or fuel pump haven't blown a fuse.

you may have a pats key that my bee bad try other key if you have one, i have seen a pats on this year of car, and if its a fuel pump try to hit the tank with the key on and see if you can hear it, should come on and run for 10 sec and shut off, you should hear the fuel pump relay click off after 10 sec or so even if the pump dos not work, if you cant hear it click off, i would be looking for sumthing els then the fuel pump like crank sencer or pump relay, if you crank motor for 2-3 sec and stop you should hear the pump run on for a sec or too that will till you if the crank sencer is working or lison for fuel pump relay to click
hop this helps, good luck

Don't take the simple approach. Trouble shoot the fuel pump. My son's crown vic died like that. I validated it was the pump by climing under there and checking for voltage at the harness to the pump. If you don't have voltage at the pump, it ain't the pump, it's something else. If you have voltage there, then it's the pump, or the connector at the pump.

dude! just find the fuel pump relay, and jump the 2 big pins on the harness with a wire, and if their is still no pressure then its ur fuel pump. Simple as that, just jump the 2 big pins on the fuel pump relay harness connector. ITS SIMPLE!

I am pretty sure its the fuel pump too. He smacked the EEC relay and it just cranked (said he thinks the CE light bulb burned out years ago). Tried the FP guage and got nil. Im gonna check some wiring tomorrow with Thomas when he gets here and hopefully we git er done.

Chris

Heck yeah, let's get a pump and get it installed. Sounds like I no longer need to bring my fuel pressure gauge? Looking at online pictures of the fuel pump assemblies for those cars, it looks very close to my Mark VIII setup. Wonder if the pumps are the same, as I have a couple extra stock ones laying around?

Thomas

I think the only difference is the mount that goes in the tank and the sender. The problem is that it has 3/4 tank of fuel. I want to be SURE its that first. I friggin hate bein covered with gas...

Chris

Alright, I'll grab those stock MK8 fuel pumps that I have then. Tell Duane to grab a chunk of garden hose and start sucking.

shootout2003104.jpg

Thomas

Back