Timing ,,,

1990tbirdsc

:eek: OK GUYS ...hears the deal ..... my harmonic balancer broke a while back and the sleeve was still on the crankshaft ,,,,sooo i pulled the timing cover off to get the broken peice with a puller .....soo my problem is ,,,, i didnt put that engine at TDC before i took it apart ,, and i pulled my cam sensor out of the timing cover ,and cranked it over with a breaker bar ......i have the timing gears set to TDC "now" .... but how do i get the cam sensor back in time ,,

Did you just take the black piece off of the top? If so...it only goes on one way. If you pulled out the shaft, dont clean it. Can you see the mark where you had the bolt holding it down? If so, you have the body back in the righ position. I will pull the top off of mine and see what it looks like.

Chris

Did you just take the black piece off of the top? If so...it only goes on one way. If you pulled out the shaft, dont clean it. Can you see the mark where you had the bolt holding it down? If so, you have the body back in the righ position. I will pull the top off of mine and see what it looks like.

Chris

That's not going to get it. If you pulled the unit out of the timing cover you will have to time it. It's very simple.

Pull spark plug #1 and rotate the engine until you start to hear the swoosh. This is compression #1.

Then rotate the crank just enough to line up the deep groove in the balancer with the pointer on the timing cover. You have to remove the plastic cover to do this (most likely you already have done this when you removed the balancer). Set the mark dead center in the groove. This is 26 deg ATC.

Then insert the housing into the timing cover so that:

1) the half moon is back towards the motor.

2) the notch in the cover is angled forward about 25 deg from parallel with the front of the motor. This step is necessary to keep the sensor from hitting the acc bracket and the blower pulley. It has to orient in between the two.

3) then you place a straight edge across the half moon of the sensor reluctor so that the straight edge protrudes out of the dead center of the notch in the housing.

Then lock it down. This is easier than it sounds. It's just like timing a distributor. You may have to try a couple different teeth on the cam gear to get it to line up just how you want. Just stab it in a couple times until you get it to line up exactly as directed so that the sensor plug will clear both the acc bracket and the blower belt and the half moon-straight edge thing looks good. It only works on one gear tooth. You get it off one way or the other and you'll be into either the bracket or the belt. It is possible to have the sensor timed correctly but not be able to get the rest of things back together.

Yeah...I totally missed the entire part about removing the cover...Sorry so stupid. That is what happens when you do this at 0100 hours.

Chris

Back