wheel question (generic)

James Kanteraki

lets say i have another car, and it happens to not be an SC. Ok its a "rustang" actually a 69 which i'm fixing up.

Its got the old crappy wheels that had ugly ass wheel covers on and i want to replace them. What i want to know is this. How do i figure out what size wheels i can put on?????
I know a little about how back spacing works, and i know what the bolt pattern is, but what do i measure on the car??? Or is there nothing. Do i just measure back spacing on the orig. wheel and then get something that is the same size???
I don't want to go to like 19" or anything, but i want to make sure i get the right wheels.

thanks
If all else fails i'll just get a "reccomended" wheel.
Jim

James, I happen to be into the old crapcans myself as well (68 Cougar). So here's a bit of info for you that will apply to the 69 Stang.

If you're looking to keep the same size on all 4 corners, have a look at these sizes ... 15 x 7 wheels with 225-60-15 or 235-60-15. If you want bigger on the rear, 255-60-15 will fit, as long as the car is not excessively lowered. In 16", look at 8" wide rims all around with 235-50 or 245-50 tires, you can go 255-50-16 on the rear. In 17", 8s all around, or 8s and 9s, with 235-45-17, and 265 or 275-40-17 rear for a maxed out combo.

"Mustang & Fords" magazine had an article a few months ago about wheel and tire fitments on the early cars ... listed tire sizes and wheel offsets for various combos. BTW, I have 225-60-15 Firehawk SZ50 tires on 1969 Shelby 15x7 wheels on my 68 Cougar.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Back