detent,tv cable what ever u wanna call it

92sclikenew

i know how 2 adjust it but what happens when ther is slack in the cable 2 being no slack um....do u know what im asking :confused: :confused:

are you wasted? Are you asking what it affects? are you asking what it can damage? are you asking what physically changes?

Generally....it's better to have the cable too tight instead of too loose. Just don't make it so tight that it pops off the throttle linkage, or your tranny will be toast before you know what happened.

Suggest taking the car to a tranny shop and have them adjust it.

David

thanks dave i have heard that is how much line pressure so if its loose would ther b more or less and if tight would ther b more or less or if this isnt true at all please let me know

sorry but how am i so hard 2 understand

Maybe you should start typing out all your words instead of being lazy and only typing out letters.........

Get your car to a tranny shop and get it set properly. If you don't you'll be walking in a short time.

I have mine set so that there is no slack, it's perfectly tight as the throttle blade is closed at idle. With that, the shift firmness greatly improved, and it raised the speed from which it would shift 2-3 under light throttle from 20 mph to 30 mph. I have a lentech valve body and never tried adjusting the stock one.

more pressure be harder shift or softer

more pressure will be a harder shift, less pressure softer. :)

The way you can tell if you have a working TV cable is very simple... don't even have to open the hood ;)
part 1: drive the car from a stop to about 45 and listen to the shifts (3)
part 2: from that speed, push the pedal to the floor. If it downshifts immediately, everything's working as it should.

Everything else is really just fine-tuning the shift points. :cool:

why do people on these forums act like they are 5 years old and try to talk ~~~~zzzzz

LOL! good one.... its not us that looks like a 5 year ole trying to type... you know how hard it is to read and clearly understand what your trying to say with that short hand stuff you put in...... now that post I quoted this time was the first one I actually fully clearly understood without having to "translate", so its not like you can't do it...........

Again, I would suggest unless you know exactly what your doing (you wouldn't be asking if you did) and have the gauges to set up the TV cable, take it to a someone that can. As I said, if its not set right, you'll be walking in short order. Going by the seat of the pants could be VERY misleading cause you'll get some nice hard shifts with some nice chirps through the gears, and next week you have nothing.......... these AOD's are VERY sensitive, especially stock one's that have never been rebuilt.

But hey, I'm just a 5 yr old that knows nothing :cool: .... and its your car not mine.......thank god.

Last edited:
i know what im doing and my trans isnt stock its been heavly built and shifts pretty hard right now and i dont get od till im doin about 60-70 could this be a bad tv cable adjustment

If the OD doesn't kick in till that speed I'd say its a little too tight, but since you mentioned the tranny is "built" then maybe it can handle it....... I'd personally turn it down a bit so I can have O/D at 50 mph so it doesn't kill your mpg when your cruising.

I think the shift points should be about stock or slightly higher under "normal" acceleration even with a built tranny, and shift into O/D when your at cruise. I read somewhere that the line pressure for changing the gears is right on the edge of going over its limit with a properly set TV cable in the stock AOD, hence the problems caused when you tighten it up more.

If you want the harder shifts, normally folks install upgraded valve bodies like the one from lentech etc. which will allow the accumulators to fill faster which cause the harder shifts, without having to increase the line pressure to do the same.

or something like that.

i know what im doing and my trans isnt stock its been heavly built and shifts pretty hard right now and i dont get od till im doin about 60-70 could this be a bad tv cable adjustment
Try loosening it by 2 notches and see if it makes a difference. :)
I did this with my last AOD. Even though I sort of liked the later upshift, I wasn't happy with the 3->O/D harshness, so I backed it off 2-4 notches until it was better.

really i like how it dont shift 2 od till about 60 cuz i dont really keep the car in od much cuz i like 2 race alot lol and also will more line pressure make harder shift

Back