irs rear will this work???

esgtbird

I have a stock rear out of a auto cougar brand new. will this work as a upgrade for my 90 sc 5 spd? is there anyway I can tell the difference on the out side of the pumpkin? is this a trac loc or is it one legged? Is there a way I can tell what it is on the out side?

thanks Eric

If it was a Tracloc the L would be between the 3 and the 27........

This is a 8.8 with Tracloc and 3.55 gears
88rearx.JPG

This is a 7.5 with Open Diff and 2.73 gears
75rearx.JPG

Last edited:
I have a stock rear out of a auto cougar brand new. will this work as a upgrade for my 90 sc 5 spd? thanks Eric

Eric,

Its an upgrade because of the gear change but you loose out because you wont have a trac loc anymore.

Shane

irs

ok i dont know much about rears at all but i am learning. can i take the gears out of the 3 27 rear and put them in my sc rear? or would it be easier
just to buy a set of gears for the car

Unless you have done a gear swap before, swapping the gears out of one diff and into another can be challenging for the first timer. I myself have never dont a gear change before but I have read into it. Now you can swap out the complete diff as one assembly and its pretty straight foward and simple. Your best bet is to get a diff out of an automatic SC. You'll still have the better 3.27 gear set and then you'll have a trac lock as well.

Shane

Back