Engine builders?

90MaroonLX

The motor in my SC needs to be torn into (Spun bearing according to the previous owner), and if I'm bothering to do that, I might as well have it completely rebuilt and improved on. Supposedly the heads were ported/polished as well, but that still has to be verified.

I'm new to these motors, so what would a typical 300-350 HP buildup consist of? Is this even feasible while keeping it streetable?

Also, any cost estimates and reputable machine shops near the Boston area would be helpful too.

Last edited:
I have over $800 in boring my block, decking the block, milling heads, having the heads and block cleaned, magnuflexed block, line bored, square decked, crank polished out and new freeze plugs put in. Still need to have the heads re-sleeved when I get the bigger valves, probably another $100-$150

Just for an Idea of how far you can go.

I would say, have a line bore done since you spun a bearing. Probably need the crank turned rather than just polished out. Have the heads milled for sure. Any more work then that gets you into spending big bucks.

All the bolt-ons with a stock motor can get you over 300rwhp

If a bearing has spun most likely the crank is junk since SC cranks should not be turned more than .010, usually when a bearing spins it takes more material than that with it. I'd look for another motor.

Some people have luck with reman engines but what I would do is look for a running engine and then pull the pan, change bearings, pull the heads, get them ported and get a cam. That will not affect driveability and will get you to your power goals provided that you have the blower and fuel system to keep up.

Bolting a stock motor to 300rwhp is not a reasonable expectation. No one I know of has ever done it. If you are looking for 300-350Hp at the motor then that is easy enough. That will come out to about 260rwhp which is doable on the stock motor.

So are aftermarket cranks not available?

Any links to popular 3.8 buildups?

I'm trying to price out a slightly better than stock rebuild vs a Ford remanufactured engine (Although I've read bad things) vs spending the money on Coy Miller motor.

Last edited:
Back