roll pin about 1 inch long looks sheared off on one end
and its about 3/16 inch wide
what could this go to?
this has been my 1st fluid change since my tranny was
rebuilt and ever since it was rebuilt It grinds on fast shifts
to 2nd and must be forced when downshifting 3rd to 2nd
Thanks Josh

Ummm....yes!

Two most popular bearings to fail are the ones on the input shaft. (Front and back).

So, when I'm referring to the main bearing, I'm talk'n about the tranny's main bearing!

I assumed that's what you were talking about, but I have never heard them referred to as main bearings.

John

Well, I can't seem to find any yahoos around here who know jack crap about our trannies....so I've begun to name stuff myself! :)

When I talked to Southern Gear on the phone they called the bearing that runs the input shaft the 'main bearing' as well....so I started to use it.

Sorry if my terms are wrong.

main bearing

I am pretty sure it is called the main bearing as the cover that covers it is called the main bearing cover (where the slave cylinder bolts

Kyle

I just finished rebuilding mine and got it installed last week and it works great. There are only 2 roll pins and they are in the linkage for the shifter rods in the tail section. So, it probably is a bearing roller as the pins are black and about 3mm in diameter. Use the fiber synchro blockers from Ford rather than the brass ones from Southern Gear. The brass will crunch on speed shifts and I chewed my 3rd gear brass synchro right up in one racing season. Otherwise buy all your other parts from Southern Gear as they are usually cheaper than Ford. All of their parts are actually for the truck version which is slightly different. Make sure that they know it is for a Super Coupe. If you take the tranny out you can get access to the front main bearing by removing the front cover. The outer race comes right out. If you can get a copy of my synchro replacement article in Charging Thunder from last year it'll tell you how to do the whole job. I followed it when I did mine and found that it was a big help.

YOu can get fiber syncros from Southern Gear as well. The COMPLETE rebuild kit w/fiber is $330.

They also rebuild trannies....I'm getting mine back next week. $150 for labor.

the pin I found is hollow and slotted down 1 side
and the end that is not sheared off has a taper to it
I dont believe it is a roller of a bearing
but i could be wrong
also it is a grey color

Is everyone shipping their trannies to be rebuilt by Southern Gear? If so, how much would the freight charge be? Where exactly is Southern Gear located, and what's the average time period for the rebuild? (Hey for $150, I'll have one here and one to go :D ).

Southern Gear is in Smyrna, Ga on the NW side of Atlanta. When I asked about the fiber blockers they told me that they only had the brass and to go to Ford for the fiber ones. I hope that they carry the fiber ones now, too. I'll call them Monday to verify it. I need to rebuild my other one now as 1st and 3rd blockers are gone in it.

Is everyone shipping their trannies to be rebuilt by Southern Gear? If so, how much would the freight charge be? Where exactly is Southern Gear located, and what's the average time period for the rebuild? (Hey for $150, I'll have one here and one to go ).

Shipping from Southern California to Smyrna was $75 one way via a UPS account. It took them 2 days to rebuilt it. They also replaced the 5th/Reverse sleeve (an extra $75.00) at the same time.

Southern Gear is in Smyrna, Ga on the NW side of Atlanta. When I asked about the fiber blockers they told me that they only had the brass and to go to Ford for the fiber ones. I hope that they carry the fiber ones now, too. I'll call them Monday to verify it. I need to rebuild my other one now as 1st and 3rd blockers are gone in it.

Make sure you talk to Jeff (x 107) He will set you up. There was no problems getting fiber syncros for me.

If anyone sends their tranny to them, make sure you have EXPLICIT instructions on what you want done.

Back