raised blower top question

slow_v6_stang

i see how they make aftermarket raised blower tops. would a simple spacer between the blower and the top do the same job? i have a class right now that we are doing gibbs CAM and we need a project for the CNC. it makes sense to me that a spacer between the blower and the stock blower top would be just as good as a new raised blower top

i see how they make aftermarket raised blower tops. would a simple spacer between the blower and the top do the same job? i have a class right now that we are doing gibbs CAM and we need a project for the CNC. it makes sense to me that a spacer between the blower and the stock blower top would be just as good as a new raised blower top

Spacer does nothing for performace. The stock top's problem is the throat area is compressed to almost nothing. Adding a spacer doesnt open the throat to allow free flow. Tops that are raised 3/4" open that area. Just a spacer would be a waste of time and effort

Ken

so the point is to open the throat, not raise the top?

I dont have a picture of the stock top's throat opening. Here are pictures of the top I use to run on my sc that I built. It was a 1.5" raised top. The first shows the throat opening and the second shows the finished top prior to being chromed

Attachments

• Top throat opening.jpg
    Top throat opening.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 166
I dont have a picture of the stock top's throat opening. Here are pictures of the top I use to run on my sc that I built. It was a 1.5" raised top. The first shows the throat opening and the second shows the finished top prior to being chromed

You sir, did a wonderful job on that top!

It is not true that using a spacer would have no benefit. Using a material such as G10 would prevent heat transfer keeping the charge cooler. The best of both worlds, if there were room, would be a combination of a raised top to enlarge the throat and a G10 spacer to isolate the inlet tube and IC from engine heat.

Here's what a spacer does to a supercharger on the intake side: traps the heat in the case and burns up the rear bearings.

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

Just think what the heat would do on the outlet side.

Last edited:
Dude, I find it hard to believe that the damage was caused solely by the addition of a spacer. It would take hundreds of degrees of heat to cause a burn like that. The inlet side would have cool air flowing in so it would be practically impossible for that much heat to be "trapped" in the case.

Looks like a lightning blower. They have been using spacers on those things for years with huge performance gains. This would be the first time somone claimed blower failure as a result of their use. I'd be curious as to how this came about.

Back