I need some advice on what to replace in my M5R2.

Jeremy_K

I'm having a friend rebuild a 5 speed tranny of his to put in my car. The only thing wrong with his was the 2&3 synchros other than that it shifted great. First off, can I buy synchros individually? If so where? I'm sure there's seals and things that are going to need replaced such as the tailshaft and input shaft but I don't know the proper names or part numbers for what I need. Also, If anyone has a good source for these parts that would be awesome. I'm looking to get by cheap as possible to get my car back on the road again. Thanks.

Try Liberty Transmissions. I am pretty sure that was where Dan Sly and Brian Ottoway got theirs done. They will be able to tell you what EXACTLY you need. Then...make a post so I will know one of these years when I can get around to it.

Chris

Already found a kit on drivetrain site...The southern gear site is a bit harder to use. Or...................maybe Im stoopid.

Chris

No, just forgot how to use a phone. Some of the best parts and/or services around for vehicles isn't found on the internet. It's only found by giving folks a call and talking to them.

I didn't care for my experience with Drivetrain.com.

The guys at southern gear are great. Pick up the phone and talk to them.

If you're going to replace any of the blockers/synchros, you'll need 2 new locking nuts for the output shaft and the counter-shaft. Ford says you need a "staking tool" but that's a bunch of poop. a flat head screw-driver is a multi-purpose tool that works just fine.

NAPA sells the gears individually. and I'm guessing southern gear might sell the seals individually, but I wouldn't bet on it. I purchased the kit when I rebuilt mine.

Also, if your friend doesn't have a tool for removing the rear bearing you'll have to get one or make one. I made one from a left over shock cylinder (when I built my Koni inserts), a long threaded rod, a nut that fits the threaded rod, a washer and a 3-jaw puller. I had a local muffler shop weld it together for me. There's a post around here somewhere, with a picture. maybe members section???

If you're removing/replacing the forward most bearing on the input shaft, you'll need a new plastic oil pick-up. You WILL break the old one taking it off. If you don't, PLEASE let us all know how you did that.

Also, get the expensive pilot bearing from Autozone, NOT the $12.00 one. The cheap one is made in China and rattles around when you hold it in your hand. The expensive one is TIMKEN??? regardless, it's the same one ford sells.

Inspect the gears/teeth where the gears engage with the sliders (big steel rings that the shifter forks grab onto). If those teeth look like they've been hammered on, get new gears. Or, you'll later become UNABLE to get into gear.

LASTLY, when you change the blockers/synchros, you'll have to measure the fitted washers at different points along the transmission. Get ahold of a shop manual for the proper procedure. This ensures that the trans is properly fitted along the output shaft. I installed the glue/sand synchros from Southern Gear, and wouldn't you know it.... my 5th/reverse-gear synchros were way fatter than the stock ones. It really sucked having the trans back up in the car before I realized that I couldn't turn the output shaft when the trans was in neutral.... ARRGHHH!!!!

P.S. those sized washers can only be measured for, and subsequently purchased from FORD, at certain points along the rebuild procedure. So, you'll have to install some gears, measure with a feeler gauge and then order the right washer. THEN you can install some more gears and measure again and purchase and install a subsequent washer.

BUT.... this only applies if you want to do it 100% totally by the book. Otherswise, just change what you want and make sure it spins freely in neutral before you put it back in the car. ;-)

So far I know I need new sliders and new synchros. I called drivetrain.com last night and he's supposed to call around and help me find the parts because they aren't stocking them anymore.I might end up buying a tranny already rebuilt if it's gonna be difficult to find parts. I'll have to call southern gear because their website's all jacked up.

Has anyone had luck actually buying BRAND NEW gears? I just figured you would not be able to buy 1,2 or 3 for the 94/95 trannies other than good "used" parts which many places keep on hand.

Micah

I was just thinking about the same thing. I wonder how much faster and easier to drive your car would be with a new gear set. Anyone know if the gears from the pick up fit? I know the synchros have a few too many teeth but they are the same diameter in and out.

Chris

I think that any new gears would have to match the countershaft's b/c the only gear that you can add separately is Reverse. The rest are part of the output shaft and changing one would require you to get a new output shaft. Then, you'ld have to find a matching countershaft; like if you were to take the guts out of a F-150 (or whatever uses the M5R2 also).

From what I remember, the final gear ration is lower and makes you go slower. So, that means no more floating around at 2400rpm's doing 90mph.

From what I remember, the final gear ration is lower and makes you go slower. So, that means no more floating around at 2400rpm's doing 90mph.

Huh? So...Overdrive is lots lower? 4th is still 1:1. I wouldnt think it would be much different. What is the SC od? .78 or something? So the F seires is like .85?

After thinking about that, I wonder if we could swap the guts of the 150 for ours and have a better tranny. I doubt it, but it sounded cool.

Chris

Back