help

jeffh4176

O.k. I guess I have to replace the head gaskets, I've never done this before...could someone wallk me through it or anyone in bham al. area who will do it for a reasonable price? I normally do most of my own repairs on vehicles, but never had to do a head gasket and there is just so much sh#$ in that engine compartment...I really dont know where to start.

Not that bad

Once you get the intercooler tubes, super charger, and inlet/tb out of the way, its just a regular 3.8. Then get the accesoris and brackets off. Then intake and valve covers, loosen the y-pipe and remove the ex- manifolds, rockers and push rods, headbolts and remove the heads. Not really that bad...Dave

thanks ...any special tools or anything i'm gonna need? should i replace anything else since it is already gonna be apart? someone said u should replace head bolts when u do the head gaskets?

Yes

New headbolts are a must. They are torque to yield bolts(stretch). Do not even consider doing it without, i dont care what anyone else on here mey tell you. I have done literally hundreds of head jobs on all different kinds of vehicle. Im a ford dealer man, but i work on anything(except swedish cars). I know these engines upside down and backwards. You also need to have the heads milled and magnafluxed(for cracks). I personally have only had one head cracked from a 3.8. It never happens, but there is a chance... A machine shop will do this for 100.00-140.00. Cheap insurance. I also replace the hard to get to heater hoses and do a full tune-up. Just take your time, label stuff in zip lock bags if you have to....No real special tools are required. I would recommend an air compressor and a air rachet though...Dave

the head bolts are TTY or torque to yield head bolts meant for 1 time use then you have to replace them. you should replace them with studs ARPs are best......remember to get the heads shaved and a 3 angle valve job ...usually not too expensive at local shops...when you do it....this is not that huge a job just keep in mind under the SC accessories its still just a 3.8 internal cumbustion engine....good luck...and take your time..;)
Rick

oops...guess I was out typed here...ok what he just said ....:D :D

Back