Where IS the EGR Valve?

Sam Woodson

Per my 1990 35th SC 5spd.

I bought the EGR valve awhile go, then we were in the middle of moving to a condo temporarily. When we were staying at the Condo I tried to replace this thing and couldn't find it. Then I thought it must be underneath the car and my floor jack was in the storage POD, so it could wait.

Now we are finally settled in our home, I jacked the car up, got a flashlight and I still don't see it anywhere.

Where should I be looking? Under the car? On the drivers side? Passenger side? On the top of the engine? Do I have to remove something so that I can see it?

Thanks in advance?

Perhaps some PO removed it and used a cover plate or something?

Sam, It should be on the back of the intake plenum, but if you have an MP blower and intake yours might have been removed. If you have it, it should bolt on the back of the intake plenum behind the TB.

Sam
This pic shows where the egr belongs (in place of the block off plate). This engine was for a 1990 automatic which didn't use it.

Hopes this helps
dbd

Attachments

• PICT0029-egr location.JPG
    PICT0029-egr location.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

I do have the MP Blower and Intake as well as an aftermarket Throttle body. I believe the PO left the EGR valve off. Is there a clearance issue with the MP intake and SC?

I'll look again now that I have the photo, but that is in the area I was looking earlier today and I did not see the big round diaphram part of the EGR valve. I assume I should be able to see at least some part of it without removing the intake plenum or throttle body.

FYI: I was receiving a Code and Check engine light when the temps were above 85 degrees this summer, hence checking to replace the EGR valve. The code said not opening I believe.

Thanks again,
Sam

Sam, if you can find an eec out of a 90 auto and switch it out, the cel will go out. That's what I did with my 89 SC. If you delete it, you'll need a plug for the exhaust manifold where the egr tube hooks up to it and a block off plate for the plenum, if it doesn't have one already.

Back