does anyone know who makes an aftermarket solid steering shaft for our cars?

For a replacement rag joint, I used:

Steering joint Flaming River FR1715DD ¾” – 36 splines / ¾” DD
Steering joint shaft Flaming River FR1850PL Plated “DD” shaft 18” long ¾” diameter, 2 milled flat sides (only need about 2”)

I actually just had my machinist make the shaft part out of stainless steel and then drilled a hole through for attachment to the steering column. It now has about 12,000 trouble free miles one.

Other joint makers like Borgeson will also have the same type of joint.

stknad.jpg

This mod does not take out the power steering unit and has 0 HP gain! It simply replaces the old rag joint in the steering column with a metal one.

George

Thanks, Can I order these two pieces directly from Rivers being that you gave me the part numbers?

to make sure, 1st picture is for the 1st part # and so on

also can I cut the shaft off of the original joint and use it on the Rivers setup?

Heber

The Flaming River site (www.flamingriver.com) does have a secure order form where you can order the parts.

First picture is the first part #.

You will need about 2" of the "DD" shaft to make the connection. It actually slides up into the end of the steering column and is secured by a bolt going through it. The other end goes into the joint. There is really no piece to cut off the rag joint (or it will be too short to use), since I believe the steering shaft originally fit over part of the original rag joint.

This is all from memory from about 3 years ago. You should be able to get under the car and see if you could re-use part of the rag joint.

I know this is a really old post, but I found the info very helpful. Maybe this could be added to the FAQ or PN list.

There is also an aluminum Steering Joint available, in addition to the billet one:
FR2409DD Flaming River Universal Steering Joint 3/4" x 3/4" DD 36 Spline

Also the PN for the non plated shaft, which is much cheaper:
FR1850 Flaming River Steel Universal Steering Shaft 18" DD

Thomas

Why do we have to use the old DD shaft. Cutting off the rag joint.
Can I just get away with just buying the joint.

Back