driver side window

wesley89sc

my driver side window is not working properly, when i hit the switch for it to go up or down it makes a whiring sound and maybe moves a little sometimes. but i can help it to make it roll up or down it is not the felt. does anyone know what could be causing this problem

im not sure if the noise that u are hearing is the same as mine, but i had a similar sounding problem with my 89. if u really want to do it urself, ur gonna have to take the door panel off any way. take if off and see what u got. when i had this problem, all that was wrong was the window had come out of the two small clips that hold the window in place. if this is the case, go buy some super strong rubber cement type glue that is ok to use on glass and plastic. clean the window and the clips really good. i even used some sand paper to rough up the spot where the window slides into the clip just for a better grip. place the window inside the clips and roll the window all the way up. try to mark or some how keep the clips in this position while u roll the window back down far enough to where u can see the clips.(the one on the right is going to be harder to get to) lift the window out of the clips and apply the glue to the inside of the clips.(i used a q-tip) slide the window back into the clips(keep in mind the clips need to be in the same position as when the window is completely rolled up. this is because the clips have limited room to move and if you glue the clip too far to one side, when u roll the window up the clip will move and the glue wont be able to hold the window.) once the clips are in place and the window is in roll the window up and keep it up for a few days to let the glue dry.

if this isnt the case, then i apologize for the long message.

The window motors themselves are notorious for chewing you the plastic gears inside. Remove the door panel, locate the 3 screws that hold the motor in. Remove it, the speaker hole works well for access, then lift up on the plate and look inside. You will probably find chunks of white plastic all over the place inside. Apparently at Auto Zone you can buy gear repair kits, if not, get a new motor.

Siemans Kit

Hi,
Les is correct Autozone, Napa, Pepboys sell the kit for @ $25 clams. Will take you around 1 hour to remove panels and repair. You may have rivets I had bolts ( I was lucky) took me 20min start to finish.
Lee

i agree with lugen and les it is the gears in your motor. i had the same problem last week with my 89sc on the passenger window. it is easy to change just take your time and have fun with it.

P/W

Has anyone made the venture yet to make replacement clips for the windows yet or is this to go on my to do list too? I mean it looks easy enough to duplicate.

J3

replace

I recently replaced the clips with two new clips i got from a glass shop they were both used clips and niether were the same kind of clip but i didn't line them up at the top first could that be the problem maybe the glue broke.

generaly in the ford power window gears the largest of the two gears has a small triageled shaped metal insert inside a larger trianged shaped hole. there are three soft plastic inserst that fit inbetween the two. Thease are ment to fail before the gears do. and they only cost a few pennies. Of coures no one at the parts store will tell you this if you just ask for the gears wich are much more expensive. But if you find some one with a clue to find them for you most places will have them.

Window Motor

The problem is definatly not the gears or the motor. The problem is with the rubber "bumpers" inside the gearbox. I have repaired 5 Ford widow motors and none had bad gears or motors. These bumpers are in the gearbox of the motor. It may sound a little difficult but it's not with some common sense. The bumbers are designed to let go before the gears, and also so the window will not put excess pressure on the door assembly. If you watch closely on a good motor, the door will start to widen when it reaches its limit on closing. These bumpers release excess presure on the door assembly. Here is a 5 dollar fix. I have done it 5 times with great success. Pull the motor assembly from the door. you will have to seperate the armature from the gearbox. When you do this the brushes will pop loose and hang from thier seats. Remove the broken bumpers. They will be in pieces in the grease of the gearbox. Clean it well and regrease with marine grease. It withstands moisture. Go to your local home center and buy a short segment of 1/2" lucite rod. Cut it 1/2" long. You will need a dremel tool to grind three small gouges that will mate up to the gear. It might take a couple of tries but it will work. Now you need to drill two small holes in the outside of the motor can where the brushes seat. Use a paperclip on each side to hold back the brushes so you can reassemble the can over the armature. Seal the holes with a little silicone. Reinstall the motor. Its easier than it sounds and cheap. Grease the slider assembly for the window with marine grease. It takes about an hour to do. It will work like new!!!!

Last edited:
i removed the motor and when i hit the window switch the gear on the motor apears to turn properly so i don't think the problem has anyhting to do with the motor or inside the motor it works pretty good but when i reatach it the big ghear feels good to but it still just runs the motor and the window doesn't move

well i would have when i removed it earlier today but when i ran the motor unatached i couldn't even stop it with my hand so i figured that was in good shape or is it just a lot of pressure from the window gear

Back