Do I need to drain the torque converter to drop the tranny?

Jeremy_K

I'm removing my last AOD transmission. I made quite a mess draining the pan. Can I wait til the tranny is out of the car before I drain the TC or will I spill more fluid during removal? I'm doing it myself so turning the crank while looking for the drain plug at the same time is not an option. I just want this crapomatic out of my car for good.

yes you can wait but when you pull the dip stick fluid will come out so have a pan ready.. i have pulled like 6 tbird transmisson and reinstalled them.:D

If you unbolt the convertor from the engine before you drop the trans you want loose fluid from it.since the convertor will come out still intact with the trans. and if you done drained fluid from the pan not much likely you will get any out the tailshaft at removel time either...Whenever i remove a trans(from anything) i always unbolt the convertor and install a plug in the tailshaft so no fluid exits there..:D

I always drain it.. mostly to reduce the weight of the whole thing. That 10 lbs of fluid helps a lot when you're trying to balance/muscle the tranny from underneath the car. I also siphon out the fluid from the pan to keep the spillage and mess to a minimum.

Back