power window gear replacement

Kit Sullivan

Both of my windows will not go up or dowm without a little 'assist' from the hands, even though the motors are happily humming away!
So, I figure the gears and torque rods are stripped out.

Looking at parts on-line, I see that there are two different geras listed for this application (1990).
There is the 65-tooth gear, which is what I think these came with, and they also list a 45-tooth gear.
Why the differnece? Would the 45-toother make the windows move faster? Are the 45-tooth gears an optional 'upgrade', or would they not work at all?

Seems if i remember correctly when i got my 90 SC the passenger window motor gear was stripped and upon looking at several parts stores for replacement there was 2 that i found.Think they were different number of teeth,but also was 2 different size gears.And only one would even work.Cant remember off hand which it was..but i think i saved the box for the part number in case i ever needed another..LOL,but unsure off hand where it could be:rolleyes:

window gear

you have 2 choices. you can pull the gear and go match it up . or if your gear is good , you can replace the plastic pins. you can do this for 3 or 4 bucks. you should be able to find these pins in the "HELP" section of an oreilly's or auto zone.
hope this helps ,sean
p.s. hope you have small arms

HELP part #74410

They can be a pain to install with all the lubricant making the parts slippery....

Make sure you clean all the pieces out of the unit, or you will be doing this again.....

One other solution is to get some window motors out of a junk yard bird or cougar....

i bought the motor with gear from autozone and the regulators from jon at apple valley ford Im just too lazy and broke to put them in

I got 3 nuts from HomeDepot and put them in place of those plastic pieces that were there originally. Total cost.... $0.86.

I bought the 'reman' kits for $12.99 each, and they worked fine. I don't see how a new plastic gear and those three torque rods are considered 'reman', but I guess they are!

if the plastic gear is broken then just put nuts that are around the same size and you'll be good to go. Just be careful because if you go up the window will not stop like it would with the plastic gears so if you hand is up there it will crush it and you fingers will be bye bye other than that its an easy free fix.

Yeah, the three torque rods are there to act as somewhat of a safety 'clutch' so the motors and gears don't get stripped or if hands and fingers get in the way.

Back