really high pitched whine...

thunderkid84

ok i havent found anything from past threads so i'll just ask it.

when i go into boost i hear a high pitched whine, usually past about 5psi. now i know superchargers whine. but this is waaaay higher pitched then the "norm".

i have a K&N cone filter and a 3" tube on it, but that shouldnt make the whine that much louder.

it feels like it doesnt "pull" on acceleration like i know it should.

anyone ????

Sounds like belt slip, how much new black powder is thier by the blower belts?

When were your belts changed last?

yes i did just put the K&N and tube on there. afterwards is when i noticed the sound.

the belts look pretty new, they're not gatorbacks, just the generic ones. and the funny thing is i've been having idle problems since i got the car. i heard the "goose honk" during shutoff so replaced the IAC(not motorcraft, i think GP from advance auto). well that didnt work so i tried the TPS, and that made it a lil better.

ive checked all over for vacuum leaks and cant find any.

where are some common boost/vacuum leak spots ??

PS : ive got the stock SC pulley on too, no OD.

You have probably already checked, but the first place to look is the IC tubes. Most mechanics, unless familiar with the car do not know that they should be sealed. you can get away without it, but IMO that is the #1 most common source for boost leaks. someone on here (i believe Tbird88) sells reusable gaskets for the IC tubes.

Mine did that when I had a small black plastic line popped off of the bypass valve actuator(I think). It's the round black diaphragm looking thing on the back of the return plenum towards the driver side. It should have a rubber elbow with a black plastic line attached. You can see it in quick35th's signature pic. Top right corner of the blower top. If you look closely you can see the rubber elbow sticking off to the right.

i topped off the fluid about 2 weeks ago. it was about 3 oz. low. i figured that would've helped also, but nope.....i'll check everything else when i get a chance tomorrow.

it sounds like the change in the intake is what's making the louder whine. going from stock to that is a big difference in blower noise. on my black 94sc i have a scp 3.5" tube and a k&n 9" filter and on my other 94sc i have a 3" mac cai and both of them make alot of noise when at wot.

hmmmmm......i guess the intake is a big step up from stock. i'm gonna buy a set of IC gaskets and while im putting an IC fan on i'll re-seal the tubes and try to tighten the plenums and top.

more ideas are welcome.

if anyone has anything on the idle problem as well, please let me know.

Does the sound go away if your wife is not in the car saying "SLOW DOWN...YOU'RE GOING TO GET A TICKIT."? If so...then she is the cause of the sound...As far as the performance goes...well...I can only put this one way. Is she fat?

Chris

well shes not fat and usually doesnt say anything when riding with me. she gets sick from all the shifting :D muahahaha

Are you still getting the honking noise or a high idle. As I recall the only IAC that works properly is from Ford. Yes your CAI setup will produce a lot of whine, mine does, and it is smaller than yours.

i do still have a slightly high idle, around 2000-ish. as oppsed to 3000-3200 before the IAC swap. what happens is when i put the clutch in, rpm's kick up to 2000 and then slowly idle down to 800-1000.

Last edited:
With the IAC wide open the motor can only go around 1500 RPM, this I know. So I retract my previous post and and suggest that you look for a vacuum leak lol.

still the same

ok i re-sealed the IC tubes with seals from spinningwheels-sc and cleaned out the tubes, top, IC and SC outlet and im still getting the high pitched whine.

maybe it was change from the bigger intake ?

Back