Hydraulic clutch issues

XxSlowpokexX

Have you guys with 5 speeds noticed any strange issues during the winter months when its cold...Seems the slave is acting strange and getting hung up untill warmed up..Mayeb I should just do a bleed and refill..Any specific fluid reccomended?

Thanks

Damon

I dont know if it was a faulty slave or what. But I put in a brand new clutch kit from LUK last August and it got really cold that October and when I got in the car at 5 am in the morning. There was a pop and fluid all over the ground. Less than 500 miles on the new slave.

It didnt seem to hang up any other time.

The pedal just goes very low..Never happened till it got cold..SOmetimes very hard to put into gear even..I meant hung up as in its not extending all the way open..No fluid on floor or anyuthing like that,,Pedal has always been very hard..SPec clutch as well..I should try bleeding it..Mayeb thsi weekend

Could be a slave cylinder hanging up. I've had some where there ends up being gunk (as in corrosion mixed with grease) on the part the TO bearing rides on to where it doesn't want to move. Cold weather will aggrevate the situation. SPEC clutch = thE sUcKneSS.

I love my Spec stage 2 Kevlar clutch.

Maybe the clutch fluid shrank on the cold day and you were barely disengaging the clutch to begin with.

Hard to go into 1st? or every gear until warm up?

Maybe the pilot bearing shrank too and squeezed on the input shaft.

If you have a helper, inspect the movement of the throw out bearing when the clutch is depressed before the bleeding procedure; then compare afterward.

Yeh when ist cold..I dont mind the SPEC clutch except it gives an awfully hard pedal compared to stock..Grip is amazing.

Well All gears of course are hard to go into as though teh clutch is no fully disengaged...I'll check it out this weekend

hmmm,

Last winter, I went to start up my '93 (it was garaged for the NJ winter as it will be this winter as well :( ) and it was a bit harder to initially engage the gears. I kept the clutch fully engaged and then applied light but steady pressure on the shifter and slowly "broke-in" all the gears. After about a minute or 2, it was easy to git-in-gear.

I just picture that glue and sand friction material on the blockers and imagine it being stripped right off if I beat on it before it's warmed up. When it's warmed up, it works like clock work (under 3800rpm's)

Back