sounds like shes gonna BLOW....

1990tbirdsc

:confused: ............ well i just started driving it today because ive had a harmonic balancer problem .....so i installed a bhj balancer ...........and now all of the sudden it sounds like the engine is going to blow up ....i was driving at a normal pace down a side street about "35 mph" and heard a slight knocking noise so i pulled over,,,, And it stopped .....soo i kept going and then it started getting louder .....my check gauge light would come on... once i come to a stop..... and my oil pressure gauge will go to low ...but as soon as i give it throttle the oil pressure goes back to normal ...... and now the engine is knocking ,,,, i cant tell if its comming from the top end or the bottem end ,,,,, but it sounds to me like a rod is flopping around ....it will run if im on the gas a little bit but .....it will not idle ...... please help /..????

also i checked all my fluids and they are all full .....
and
.....its not my cats because they are hollowed out already ..and its not the super bearing because its not comming from the superchager,,

Last edited:
what else have u recently done to it ?

does it even try to idle ? do u hear the knocking when its tryin to idle ?

i recently removed the timing cover ..and cam sensor assembly ...... and yes it knocks while trying to idle ...and when im giving it throttle....no it does not try to idle .... as soon as i let of the gas it will die

I haD THE same thing on mine, now its dead with only 1K miles on it and $2400 gone

Check your engine oil for metal shavings, thats what will cause the oil pressure to drop when idling or in 5th gear. the knocking sound was deeper and was a wrist pin gone bad/loose scraping the cylinder wall cuzing the exhaust to smoke.even later the engine oil had a hint of gas smell to it, in the end ther was all sorts of glitter in my oil and my harmoinic ballencer was jumping all over making chattermarks on the sensor rings due to lack of all bearings. Get it checked befoer its too late loike mine was! I also had a rod bearing go on my car before the rebuild and its a similar sound and feeling but not the same, sorry for the typos, i'm at work with 5 min break.

if i do have shavings in the oil how do i get them out ,,,,,, just change the oil .... but i dont see how that will stop the knocking ,,,,because it sounds horrible ,,,

if i do have shavings in the oil how do i get them out ,,,,,, just change the oil .... but i dont see how that will stop the knocking ,,,,because it sounds horrible ,,,

Dustin if you have shavings in your oil and oil change isnt going to do anything. Shavings get there for a reason ;) I would check the oil like they just said, if your griding away at your block or heads probably not a whole lot your going to be able to do other than motor swap/rebuild..

Mike

i just went and checked ,,,,,, I DO ,,, have metal shavings in the oil ,,, i looked on the dip stick and it sparkles like glitter ,,,, but it does idle now when its cold ... but its still knocking .....what do i do .??

Are you getting a check guage light inside the TACH? If you have a spun bearing you will lose oil pressure at idle.

After getting the BHJ balancer on, did you have oil pressure according to the factory guage? Was the car running right after the BHJ swap?

Was the car making any abnormal noises after installing the BHJ? Did you get it fully seated against the crank gear? The cam sensor drives the oil pump via a hex shaft. I assume you got the cam sensor fully seated.

Make sure the noise isn't coming from the timing cover, The timing chain has a tensioner did you disturb it?

You might be able to drop the crank and install new crank bearing, but if you have a spun bearing the crank has probably been scared and will need to be polished.

Dropping the oil pan is not easy on these cars, you either have to raise the engine very high or lower the K Member that all the supension is attached to.

Sorry to hear this.

yes it all ran perfectly fine when i got the balancer on....it ran for about 2 hours ...then died at a stop sign ..... then when i started it ......i heard the knocking ,,,,, sounds like a pushrod is broken ... im going to check it out

Back