Hood liner woes

neverfastenough

Hey guys, My sc seal finally came in from napa today. Hopefully I can have it changed by tommorow if I can get a puller. Anyways Heres the question(might be bringing up some of grandmas home stain removal remidies), My hood liner is soaked in sc fluid and lookes nasty. Ive been soaking it in Simple Green an blotting it with a rag for awile with no luck. I really dont want to ditch it all together, I like the bird and factory look. I am afriad though if I remove it and hose it down if it would just fall apart? Any ideas would be great guys.

It will fall apart. When it was new you may have been able to hose it but now that its all brittle and boogered up I wouldnt advise it.

I love the sound of the SC without it but I wish I could fine a brand new one becuase I think they look better than the cookie cutter shapes under it.

I keep Getting mixed answers on whether or not I have clear coat (its a black90). My main fear was buring the paint/ CC. Any thoughts

I keep Getting mixed answers on whether or not I have clear coat (its a black90). My main fear was buring the paint/ CC. Any thoughts

Your black paint DOES have clear coat. I'm not sure that removing the pad would harm your paint, but a clean pad looks a lot better than the non-clearcoated underside of the hood.

My advise is to hit the salvage yards and look for a better underhood pad than yours. If you're careful, you should be able to clean it up acceptably. Use mineral spirits, then follow with Simple Green and a garden hose. Take your time.

Use a pair of side cutters to cut the shank of the retainers when you remove the originals, because you'll break them, or tear the pad if you try to pull them out. You can by very close replacements at Advance Auto, etc. You'll need 11 pcs. The originals are a "snap hook" design, but the replacements are the push-in "Christmas tree" style design.

Good Luck,

JD

There are differing views on the burnt paint idea. I ran mine for 8 months and no problem with the paint but than again, my paint was trash anyway.

I dont think I would try mineral spirits unless txsc has done it personally. The insulation looks like it would get jacked up with something like that. Try it anyway. Its already messed up like you said, it cant hurt.

I would try the simple green and use a shop vac to suck out the water instead of brushing. That thing falls apart when brittle.

It seems to still be fairly sturdy but that sc fluid is some nasty stuff. I would think Mineral sprits would eat it alive but it might be ammune to it. Ill probably just try simple green and let it soak over night and rinse. Also you think kerosene might work, I mean its safe enough for my filters in my mx bikes and they arnt the most duarble material either.

A little extra whine couldnt hurt:D Im about to remove the stock air scilencer so Im not worried about sc noise, Paint was my biggest concern. It it falls apart o well Ill make an attempt to salvage it but its not the end of the world. If it does Die though should I hit the under side with regular dupli-color paint and clear or high temp? Thanks

I used carpet shampoo sprayed it on let soak them lightly brushed it then when it was clean after many attempts I sealled it with clear semi gloss

it keeps it it from getting dirty again and holds it together during washing all oil comes off easeir when its clear coated.

That might be tough but worth a try. There is a 90 sc in m local junk yard, Ill have to go check it out

You're not limited to just a SC. My last one came out of a 95 LX and it fit just fine.

An yea, it's quieter, but I wasn't taking any chances on blistering the new pearl paint on the hood!

Ira

This shredded supercharger belt made a real mess of my hood liner way back in October 2002, but it still ran a 13.3 :D It looked so bad I removed it the following day, and never gave it much thought since then.

shreaded.jpg

David

You can get new retainers at the dealership, they are very cheap. Unless you get nailed with special order fees. In fact, I have some I could spare if you can't find any local.

This shredded supercharger belt made a real mess of my hood liner way back in October 2002, but it still ran a 13.3 :D It looked so bad I removed it the following day, and never gave it much thought since then.

shreaded.jpg

David

Man, the look of your engine bay has come a long way in four years.

The snaps can be removed without damage.......

I was able to remove all the original retainers from my SC without breaking them by using angled needle nose pliers. I found the ones in the middle to be the most difficult to remove. Take your time. I think the snap hook clips are much easier to remove than the x-mas tree ones. The x-mas tree ones are so tight in fit that they require lots of force to remove and are more prone to getting beat up when you take em out.

I simply found an insulation pad that was better than the one in my car, which got shredded by a frayed serp. belt. Actually, some vendor left a T-bird hood with the insulation on it behind at E-Town.

Your black paint DOES have clear coat. I'm not sure that removing the pad would harm your paint, but a clean pad looks a lot better than the non-clearcoated underside of the hood.

My advise is to hit the salvage yards and look for a better underhood pad than yours. If you're careful, you should be able to clean it up acceptably. Use mineral spirits, then follow with Simple Green and a garden hose. Take your time.

Use a pair of side cutters to cut the shank of the retainers when you remove the originals, because you'll break them, or tear the pad if you try to pull them out. You can by very close replacements at Advance Auto, etc. You'll need 11 pcs. The originals are a "snap hook" design, but the replacements are the push-in "Christmas tree" style design.

Good Luck,

JD

The clearcoat on the hood of my '93 SC is peeling. I've always kept it clean and polished/waxed, and there has always been a hood liner underneath.

Its been in the family since '96 and it was pretty much mint when we bought it.

Think of how hot your hood gets on a summer day with the sun beating down directly on it........

There are differing views on the burnt paint idea. I ran mine for 8 months and no problem with the paint but than again, my paint was trash anyway.

I dont think I would try mineral spirits unless txsc has done it personally. The insulation looks like it would get jacked up with something like that. Try it anyway. Its already messed up like you said, it cant hurt.

I would try the simple green and use a shop vac to suck out the water instead of brushing. That thing falls apart when brittle.

I fiddled with it today still needs a lot of work but its an improvement. I changed the seal yesterday and the original was just metal all the rubber disinigrated:eek: Topped it off with some GM sc fluid and no leaks;)

Back