a/c delete

ThYou loose a little bit of weight and a small amount of rotating weight, but the gains would be parasitic, if anything. It really opens the engine bay up so you can get to the spark plugs on the passenger side a little better. There is more flow to the radiator, also.

That's about it.

If you are a heat baby dont do it. It makes for doing the plugs a lot easier. I can do all 6 plugs in and out in 20 minutes flat. maybe some are faster but that is something I will trade for cool air. Besides, if its not a daily driver. Get rid of it. Just something else to repair on these later.

You dont need any fancy pulley or gizmo either.

Last edited:
yea i know about not need any pulley its pretty much free 2 do my ac dont work and hasnt workin sence i have owned the car all it needs is charged up i do drive it daily tho but i dont care about heat maybe ill wait

total weight savings

sorry to hijack the thread, but what would u guys say is the weight savings from takin out the a/c system (condensor, compressor , evaporator, and accumulator) ??
maybe 20 pounds ??

sorry to hijack the thread, but what would u guys say is the weight savings from takin out the a/c system (condensor, compressor , evaporator, and accumulator) ??
maybe 20 pounds ??
maybe a bit more. I'd say around 30.

However, I should point out that the defrost won't work as well for clearing fog without A/C. You'll notice it more on cold rainy days when you can't seem to keep the windshield clear. :cool:

If you are a heat baby dont do it. It makes for doing the plugs a lot easier. I can do all 6 plugs in and out in 20 minutes flat. maybe some are faster but that is something I will trade for cool air. Besides, if its not a daily driver. Get rid of it. Just something else to repair on these later.

You dont need any fancy pulley or gizmo either.
Actually, you don't need to do anything more than just unplug the compressor... and really, you don't even need to do that. :rolleyes: The pulley is free spinning w/o the compressor engaged, so what you get is weight reduction, less clutter in the engine compartment, and reduced defrosting in humid weather. ;)

even spinning a "free wheeling" pulley takes a couple hp. if the a/c doesn't work or you don't want it remove it. it frees up engine space, make changing the plugs tolerable, allows more air to your radiator and intercooler. it's simple to do and all you need to do is modify the belt tensioner and get a shorter serpentine belt.

at the least i figure taking everything out will free up a few hp alone. its said that 100lbs=approx. 10 hp....so, 30 lbs should be about 3 hp more.

Unless it's going to be a full-on track car, I'd never remove the A/C. There are tons of ways to pick up an equivalant amount of HP without giving up the ice. Wouldnt' an U/D pully on the PS, etc. pick up about the same amount of HP? Regarding weight, I'd think relocating the battery to the trunk would do about as much good, and put the weight where it's needed. Just my $0.02.

JD

i know 3 hp is not alot. but really im just doing it for weight savings and for the airflow to the rad and IC. im keeping the car (hopefully) forever, so i dont mind if the a/c is out.

easier access to the pass. spark plugs is also a plus!

Unless it's going to be a full-on track car, I'd never remove the A/C. There are tons of ways to pick up an equivalant amount of HP without giving up the ice. Wouldnt' an U/D pully on the PS, etc. pick up about the same amount of HP? Regarding weight, I'd think relocating the battery to the trunk would do about as much good, and put the weight where it's needed. Just my $0.02.

JD

whats invloved in that ? just running power and ground cables to the back ? kinda like amp wiring ?

i did my ac delete like you did but i went one step more and used a ribbed pulley on the tensioner.

Attachments

• 89sc ac delete pics 001.jpg
    89sc ac delete pics 001.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 89sc ac delete pics 002.jpg
    89sc ac delete pics 002.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 89sc ac delete pics 003.jpg
    89sc ac delete pics 003.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 89sc ac delete pics 004.jpg
    89sc ac delete pics 004.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 62
You have to look at the whole picture. Not only does it decrease weight it also gets the ac condenser out from in front of the intercooler. I took mine off added a double intercooler and picked up 3 tenths in the quarter mile.

once my condensor it out, i'll be adding a FMIC like nickelman. mine will be custom made also, $1200 is too much for that MP FMIC.

now to relocate the battery, u just need to run the power and ground wires to the trunk ? and thats it ?

Back