6 speed auto?

NightMare3.8

hey everyone i was lookin for SC's at my local junkyards and stuff ... lol i know its wierd..but i was lookin for one to see if it had anything like underdrives or a different rear and i came across a totaled out Ford Fusion...the engine was gone but the tranny was still there and i know the guy that owns the place and he said he was gunna rip it out and sell it on ebay since it only has 24,000 miles on it but he said i could take it for $750. So i was just woundering if it would be possible to have the tranny replace my stock..? If so how much would it cost for extra things needed to make it work.? That would be a pretty sweet tranny to have in a SC tho huh...forget the 5 speed man have an extra gear with just as much fun and more consistant times... Just curious

I know nothing about the Fusions but can the tranny even handle the extra power (mainly torque) of an SC 3.8 over the V-6 Fusion? The only reason I ask is because I know my focus with an auto was limited in the amount of power you could add w/o damaging the trans. Since the fusion is far from a performance car I doubt ford put any beefy parts in it and I am pretty sure that the trans was matched closely to the Fusion's 221HP and 205lbft torque rather than the SC's 230hp and 330lbft torque.

youve got a good point there...but what about the mustang trannys...they could handle power and you could get 6 speed autos there too..

Even if you could bolt it up it still is a FWD transmission? ie holes for cv joints not a single slip yoke, also it is comptuer controlled so you may have a 1 speed if the comp doesn't tell it to shift.

youve got a good point there...but what about the mustang trannys...they could handle power and you could get 6 speed autos there too..

I think they would be tough enough for sure, but I am pretty sure Ferd only put a 5 speed auto in the new mustangs.

and what do you need 6 speed in the usa anyways not like you would even get out of 4th let alone 5th and 6th lol owell do what you want.

Oddly enough I've been thinking about this. The new RWD 6 speed tranny from Ford/GM should be tough enough to handle the torque from the SC. They're used in the new V8 Explorers which are rated at 300lb-ft of torque (keep in mind this is the new SAE hp/torque ratings, not the old ones the SC was rated under). I don't know enough about transmissions to add anything constructive to this discussion on the technical aspects though.

300 ft. lbs. of torque? Mod and SC and see how much torque you get. If there was a hd. vervion then maybe it would make sense.

Besides being an electronic nightmare the bolt pattern is different.

I say no..Unless you have allot of time and money to experiment with

Mustang Tranny

You also need to think about the different ratios in the transmission for the 4.6s. You would lose some power due to the different ratios.

trans

that trans wont hold up, i work for ford and had some traing on this trans, it wont fit the 3.8 sc block. it can only handl 500 hp at 400 ft tq, and that is for short p of time, a good old aod and aode can handl more hp-tq then that thing beside you will have to have a tool to put trans fluid if you lose fluid out of it :(

that trans wont hold up, i work for ford and had some traing on this trans, it wont fit the 3.8 sc block. it can only handl 500 hp at 400 ft tq, and that is for short p of time, a good old aod and aode can handl more hp-tq then that thing beside you will have to have a tool to put trans fluid if you lose fluid out of it :(

Curious where you work....

The current 6R trans in the Explorer package can't hold over 400 ft lbs reliably. The 6R trans in the expedition is better. The 6R trans in another year will be much better and have a higher TQ capacity due to some cool motors coming out.

But as stated, it wont bolt to a 3.8L block

trans

the expedition is a lot biger then a fusion and use a biger 6R typ trans and takes a few more hp to ture over then the smaller one and i work at alexander
ford near nashaville i dont have the secs on the expedition but i can look them up if you need them

you must have a tool to put trans fluid in these cars what some bs how the ~~~~ can fords do that.thats like monopoly :eek: .what some cheap ~~~~ers :D if im wrong sorry :D ;)

the expedition is a lot biger then a fusion and use a biger 6R typ trans and takes a few more hp to ture over then the smaller one and i work at alexander
ford near nashaville i dont have the secs on the expedition but i can look them up if you need them

The Fusion uses a 6F, hence FWD

If you mean the the expeditoin vs explorer, they have the exact same friction and almost the same rotational loss.. it doesn't take any more HP to turn them over.

Current Explorer - 6R60
Current Expedition - 6R80

basic differences in 6R60 to 6R80 are valve body, every clutch pack has one more plate count, input/output shafts, output shaft bearing, TQ... and soon to be a different OWC

you must have a tool to put trans fluid in these cars what some bs how the ~~~~ can fords do that.thats like monopoly :eek: .what some cheap ~~~~ers :D if im wrong sorry :D ;)

Basically the only tool you need is a fluid pump (hand operated is fine). Same as if you had to add fluid to a tcase or differential. The lack of a trans dipstick is becoming an industry standard. Each OEM has a specific fluid that the trans needs to operate with. The average owner is just goin to throw the cheapest ATF they can find at Autozone in their trans and not know any better. This is the OEMs way to reduce warranty costs by owners that don't know what they are doing.

Last edited:
"every clutch pack has one more plate count"
That will increase the friction measureably. I would rather have the extra strong clutch anyday anyways.

The electronics would be a nightmare, though, IMHO.

Also, trans fluid selection is not THAT critical on a fresh valve body. If you start changing fluids once it's broken in, then you get into trouble.

Also, trans fluid selection is not THAT critical on a fresh valve body. If you start changing fluids once it's broken in, then you get into trouble.

I disagree, at least with regards to the 6R.

Every valve body that leaves the factory has ever solenoid/actuator tested with the correct friction fluid before it is even installed in the trans. That test results in a unique ID for that specific valvebody, and that unique ID is then stored on the valvebody (to put it simply). Once the VB is installed to the trans, the adapt tables and a few other things in the calibration code read that unique ID and the calibration is then altered as needed (but without you knowing... the trans is constantly adapting it's own calibration).

Now if you ID the valve body using a certain trans fluid, and then use a different fluid with different friction properties, the adapt tables will not correspond to the valvebody and you will get extremely harse engagements that happen sooner than the should (both upshifts and downshifts). These engagements cause the customer to thing something is broken and take it to the dealer.

The electronic packaging on a 6R is actually very simple to deal with.

That will increase the friction measureably. I would rather have the extra strong clutch anyday anyways.

Yes, the extra friction disc adds well over 100 ft.lb of holding torque to the packs themselves, probably closer to 200

Last edited:
I guess I should learn a little more about the 6R before making a blanket statement like that, hey? Sounds like Ford finally figured out how to make a 'smart' auto tranny! Does anyone know the actual rotating inertia of this tranny? How does it compare to an AOD? With a fast rear gear, this might be a cool setup for hill climbing.

Does anyone have the specs for this tranny on PC? What does the harness pinout look like? I'd love to look at the electronics if they're not too complex. Emulating basic inputs (RPM, TPS, MAF) wouldn't be a problem, but if it is calculating load from multiple top end sensors, that is what would make it messy as the Expedition has a different displacement, manifold pressure range, and power band.

Back