Upgrade List. Am I Missing Anything?

Ehdrian

Hi!

I have read what seems like hundreds of threads about upgrading an SC with bolt-ons. I think I know what I am going to do first.... But I still have a couple of questions.

Soon-to-be Upgrade list:
New exhaust system:
Stock Headers
Stock Cats
Remove resinator and replace pipes with 3"
Dynomax mufflers
Intake:
Put cone intake on stock 55mm - remove box
Pulleys:
5% SC pulley

I'm going to be replacing alot of the gaskets and seals in the engine, which means I am going to have the valve covers removed. Should I get roller rockers? Does it really increase performance by 10hp?

While I have the throttle body and supercharger intake removed, should I remove the head and replace the head gasket all at the same time? And if I do that, (remove the head) would there be any reason to port the head with the stock headers still on? Should I get the head planed?

I don't want to start taking apart the bottom of the engine - so cams are out of the question....

Thanks in advance!

What year SC is it? Stock headers(do you mean manifolds?) are going to need to be upgraded.

Yes, manifolds. :)

If I do that, I'm assuming the cats should also be replaced?

EDIT:

It's a 1990 with 95,000 km on the engine, great condition all round.

Thanks!

Replace the 55mm maf with a 70mm maf. I think they were on 91-95 SCs. If you get one from a 94/95, you'll need to use the electronics from your 55mm, as the 94/95 SCs, had larger injectors. That's a cheap upgrade. An IC fan is another cheap upgrade.

For exhaust get the stock manifolds ported. Get rid of the cats if you can. Put a bigger resonator on ( dual 21/4"in single 3" out). Get a 5% alum Jackshaft pulley instead of the 5% SC pulley. Leave your valve train alone, better places to spend your money. I wouldnt replace your HGs if it aint broke dont fix it.

Ken

Great!

OK, so hear is what I'm going to start off with:

-Ported stock manifolds, or new ones - if I can find'm cheap.
-New cats. I haven't decided which brand yet.
-No resinator (or a high flow one depending on budget)
-3" exahust pipes
-Dynomax mufflers
-5% Jack pulley
-Used 70mm MAF with 55mm electronics
-Cone filter
-IC Fan

And...
-Moble1 Transmition flush / re-seal
-Moble1 Oil change / oil cleaner flush
-Valve cover gaskets
-Other gaskets....
-Coolant flush / clean
-Fix the dam break light
-Recharge the AC

NEW CAR! :)

Thanks guys!

your probably not gonna like the exhaust sound with the resonator cut outta there. its got an annoying drone to it. might wanna go with a magnaflow 2.5" in/3"out.

It all depends on what budget you're working with, personaly i like to work from the bottom up with stock short block.
-First-
After market heads- or (port the crap out of the stock ones)
Short or long headers-
True dual 2.5 inch -
two chamber flow masters-
-Second-
255 fuel pump-
larger injectors-
larger MAFS-
-Last-
IC Fan
Cold Air intake w/K&N
Better gear in rear end
underdrive pully crank or blower, (i preffer the crank pully) it gives stock look and same gain as blower pully.

Then later on if you wish you can change more exspencive things like blower ex...... I found out when i did it the other way i was loosing HP when i added a TB and MAF and under drive pully but didn't have any heads or exaust on the car, sure i gained a little but the HP is robbed from the engine at the exaust and heads.

Back